Carlson 'Vector Major'

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Schnick, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Schnick

Schnick Junior Member

Has anyone ever heard of a 27' boat going by this description? Apparently there is a strip-planked hull available for sale in my area which is a 'vector major' designed by Richard Carlson, who I have never heard of. Apparently he is an east coast designer and the boat is a fin keel, skeg-hung spade rudder style. I am looking for more info on the design...

2. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Dick Carlson

I wish I knew more. A designer located in Stonington CT. Ahead of his time. The boats I know of were light displacement, hard bilged, strip planked, and most were built in Spain. I have seen more than one and the build seemed of the highest quality. I think the most popular model was the Cutlass 23.
    http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_ID=228 I wish I had a drawing or photo of one. I think there was another larger model called the Cutlass Major. I think they were quite successful racing under the MORC rule at the time.
    There was also a story I remember reading about how a nuclear submarine surfaced directly beneath Mr Carlsons own yacht during an overnight race. The boat was severely damaged by I don't believe anyone was seriously injured. I think there was a problem getting the Navy to admit that the event had ever occurred.
    Hope this helps a little. I would also like to know more about Dick Carlson.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.