Air horn

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Darryl Siss, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It is twice as difficult with one eye.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You are required to carry a "signaling device" aboard, in the USA. Now this can mean several things, but a horn is a good idea. A well placed "HEY BUTTHEAD" at the top of your lungs works, often more effectively, but this doesn't qualify, though a whistle, breath powered horn, hand held air horn or electric horn(s) are the things the harbor patrol will want to see, before they give you a ticket for being inappropriately equipped.

3. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I'm glad you guys brought this up because I'm going to need a signaling device come spring.

I looked at the standard air horns and while they're nice I'm not convinced that they make a lot of sense. I've been boating for going on 40 years and have rarely used my horn in all that time (not that horn, the boat's horn). It seems to me that a simple "canned air horn" (maybe two) on the boat is all that you need. For 10 bucks it's a lot cheaper than installed horns and I don't have to drill more holes in my flybridge. God, I hate drilling holes in my boat....

When I decide to replace it I can always take the old one to a football game and make a nuisance out of myself. :D

MIA

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

It's also called a sound signalling device and has nothing to do with the fragile male ego.

It's actually an effective communication tool if used properly.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Not to worry. Frosty won't be coming at you for long, Michael; just until he hits the end of his mooring lines.:p

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.