Affordable seaworthy cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goodwilltoall, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Also have herreshoffs book and jubilee's forward sections most resemble meadowlark. Almost same beam but jubilee has about 10" higher freeboard at bow. Think the correct word thats being measured is waterplane. Meadowlark has wider stern but jubilee is deeper. If I remember correctly it was only Bolger's "sir joseph banks" that had more waterplane area fwd than any of the other boats measured.

This really surprises me considering it would have been even wider if built as originally designed. The only other boats that I can think of that would do this are later Dashew designs because he pulls the cutwaters fwd and unabashedly says this works better. Dont have his lines so cant say for sure.

2. goodwilltoall

It was hoped that the box keel would add much strength by reinforcing the frames. Know about bolts but thought tabs would distribute the loads more evenly and securely to frames, (think these two assumptions are correct and would need facts otherwise to disprove). The keel box frames are solidly epoxied sassafras with the ply both sides (the picture shows tabs on one side until they were placed on top of frame then the other tab assembled), all direct connections were sanded then heavily epoxied n screwed. The epoxy has about double the volume of lime making it thick and preventing dry spots.

3. goodwilltoall

Greetings,

Updated drawing for bogomil. The plastic shelter collapsed several days ago due to loose fitted visqueen which captured perhaps many tons of snow and rain. Will try to order today a pipe bender for self build hoop house and will let know how it goes and costs. At this time the project is covered and visqueen will be reused.

Attached Files:

4. goodwilltoall

Erased & redrew for standing hdrm @ yawl, moved main daggerboard fwd and added smaller one aft for fine tuning helm control, also rearranged icebox location so it wouldnt be right across wall of composter. This gives more of an open layout and desk-icebox are not directly below hatch opening as before.

This is the biggest size I would want to deal with as far as shallow draft (2' or less). Large centerboards to edges of hull as Bolger or leeboards such as goldenball possibly swinging like turbine blades in a storm are unacceptable. Was facinated with shallow draft but for now see my limitations and the 60' mentioned has a fixed keel.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

When I'm drawing/drafting I draw a couple rough 6' stickmen to scale on a piece of paper, one standing and one sitting down. Then I cut them out and just use them to check for ergonomics instead of constantly measuring.

6. goodwilltoall

Yea thats ok but like to see the 12" squares that instantly show you the spacing. Btw, adding two circles to show sitting & standing views at steering areas.

Peace.

7. goodwilltoall

Another upload, this is an improvement of previous sharpie catamaran concept. First the neg's.
    1) No standing hdrm. 2)small berths of 7' x 28" max. 3) 55" height at approach to landing. 4) Curtains needed between bath & cabin during use to allow 360 visibility. 5) 28" passageway at landing to berths. 6) Would change rear bridge deck to hull-hull rather than as drawn. 7) Small living space due to it actually being a 30'er stretched to 40', wanted to have 15-1 hull beam ratios with plenty of deck clearance, deck area is also under 50% of total length. This is in keeping with top catamaran designers protocols

Pos. 1) rear can have canvas work enclosing allowing full hdrm while at dock. 2) fwd protected helm, this helped to keep structure height lower whereas a rear helm would have required higher seating to look over cabin. 3) sail handling next to helm n mast. 4) Can look over n around cabin while standing.

The Scripture verse is more for me but applies to all of The Way in general.

Hoopbender arrived yesterday due to weather disruptions and hope to get tubing yet this week.

Previous sharpie boat drawing is distorted as if you look at what should be perfect squares are rather oblong but just look at previous drawing which at least is scaled correctly.

Peace.

Attached Files:

8. Emerson White

Emerson White Junior Member

The longer boat does experience less pitching. This is in spite of the fact that the forces that cause pitching are increased. Also, the force that cause pitching have better leverage. The reason less pitching is experienced is because of countervailing forces and inertia. This means more stress on the boat, especially at the chines, where you neglected chine logs. Glass is a good idea no matter what, but chine logs are also a really good idea.

9. goodwilltoall

Thanks Emerson,

Fixed up L. Spooner

Aft can be queen bed or as shown, passage is room enough for 6' man, some places the stuctural framing will make for head ducking & might interfere with builtins. Displacement revised.

Attached Files:

10. Emerson White

Emerson White Junior Member

Did you put the galley into one of those places where one must duck?

11. goodwilltoall

The galley should be free of obstruction overhead as the seat structure above can be a rigid panelq and anchored at the ends. I was more concerned with station 21, decking aft, and deck above galley counter.

As drawn the galley hdrm is 6'-1/2", i would raise that about an inch and the seat and panel should be a little thicker, so overall about 4" higher than shown which means the desk and footrest need to be raised accordingly. I think this is the only place and it still fits within. I could just raise everything 4" overall but think it unneccesary.

12. goodwilltoall

Still have that 60 footer kind a similar to Perry's new "slicer" (no where near the draft!!!!) ran out of paper but God willing, i hope to start soon and finish.

Have two other drawings to present and i hope thats it for a good while, im sure it bothers you folks but it annoys me even more since its time on my dime. An idea pops up and i follow through.

One of the ideas is something i think Bolger did with "col. Hasler" where y build a box keel first, finish it, roll over, install engine and tanks then tab in hull frames, this way it can be built upright. I think theres other advantages but wont get into those. Is anyone familiar with particular boats built like this? Had in mind flat rockered bottom rather than slack sides.

13. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

hi gwt

we all know your a bit mad, but in a good way. Putting that aside,,, today I came across this sharpie. I think you will like it. Nice lines, there are line drawings to boot, and you can contact the builders for tips. Boat is called Luna

notice the single deck forward (looks like sitting room only) then the pilot house aft which is raised for standing headroom, a small cockpit, balanced sail plan, leeboards. Seems great for pottering about Alaska, or pottering about Maine islands, possibly not the best for long fast ocean passages,,, Me I would add a 10hp outboard,,, just in case of stuff ups.

its 31ft, with heaps of space,,, beam looks similar to your 50 footer (possibly you recall some of us saying your boat was too long and narrow?). I like it because it is simple, easy to make,,, shoal draught, lots of interior space. No I would not cross the Atlantic in it, but that aside it looks very comfortable and a great liveaboard. PS dont design your own catamaran,,, buy a second hand one or build from plans,,,

some links
    http://akzeigers.com/DaveAnke.html
    http://www.akzeigers.com/LunaFAQ.html#1
    http://www.akzeigers.com/Images/LunaPlan.jpg

14. goodwilltoall

Greetings,

Here is the 60 footer, would raise jib about 6". Changes as previously mentioned with spooner.

Attached Files:

15. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

your short tubby boat is yuck,,, the long narrow one is better than you have done before, looks like your set on your 6:1 l/w ratio. That aside, dont you think the crew would be like to walk from the cabin under the jib, towards the helm station without having to stoop. My suggestion is have standing headroom all the way (extra topweight is minimal). Your designs are getting better..

changes below (suggestions)

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.