advise on Pinisi wood boats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by reveur, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Schoonerman

Schoonerman Junior Member

Indonesian Pinisi Operational Requirements

Rick,

Survey's for this size vessel are not required, other than the approval of the local harbor master. He will require a sound vessel with minimum safety gear and competent crew based on size of boat and HP for engine aboard. The size boat you are speaking of could require a Capt with a 4 or 5 rating, all the crew listed on the manifest MUST BE INDONESIA. The engineer also could be a 4 or 5 rating depending on the size of the engine.

If you can advise me what you are doing, I might be able to cast some additional light on the requirements.

Robin

2. outbackmovies

outbackmovies New Member

It was just an enquiry as a friend of mine who is a ships engineer here in Australia was interested in purchasing a Phinisi type vessel to do up for charter work so I thought I would make enquiries..
    He is married to an Indonesian girl and rents a place on Bali somewhere. He has a fly in fly out arrangment with his employer. (Lucky B)
    Can he skipper the vessel or does "all" crew including skipper have to be Indonesian, and where are those skipper and engine tickets availeble from.
    Do overseas tickets help.
    Cheers Robin and i hope you can help.
    We are just a couple of old Navy Vets with a dream!
    Cheers for now,
    Rick

3. Schoonerman

Schoonerman Junior Member

Operating in Indonesia

Yes all crew must be Indonesia, simple and straight, cost for such at present range around 3-4 Juta for a good Capt, 2.5-3.5 for a good engineer, 2-2.5 for deck hands. If you understand what the right crew can do for your boat, in upkeep and security, its well worth the investment. If you wish to act like a Capt, you are always welcome to do so, but in this format you are more like a fleet command Admiral !

Robin
    Schoonerman

4. outbackmovies

outbackmovies New Member

An Admiral, Now that would put a smile on his face, I am thinking of joining him as a side kick so I hope I get the same status as I only payed off in the Navy as a leading seaman so a jump to Admiral sound great. Will keep in touch as time gets closer.
    Thanks again.
    Rick.

5. galley

galley New Member

Dear Robin
    My name is Val Taylor and I live in Melbourne Australia. A few friends of mine and myself (we are all old), have had this dream to have a theme restaurant ship. As we are all students of ancient Egyptian history, we have decided our theme restaurant ship should be Cleopatra’s Galley. (To help visualise the vessel, it is similar in design to a Viking long boat but much bigger).

We have done some preliminary designs of what we want. The vessel will be 46 metres long with a broad beam. There will be one lower deck only.. The vessel will be fully functional as a ship and be powered by oar banks on each side of the vessel.

I have read with interest your replies to people in this forum and thought you might be the right person to start with for advice. Perhaps my first question is the most important. Can the Indonesian boat builders build from plans drawn up by a naval architect? Secondly, have you any idea of the construction time, from your experience, for them to complete a vessel of this size? … and finally a good contact who could oversee the project in Indonesia?
    Regards
    Val

6. Magdalena

Magdalena New Member

phinisi

I was just reading your posts with a great attandance, as i am in the same situation as Reveur. I am a diving Instructor and my dream since many many years is to build phinisi to sail along indonesia.
    I have gathered already some information, which unfortunatelly in some cases are very contradicting.
    As i see from your threats some of you have expirirnce with phinisi projects in Indonesia.
    I want to build 28 LOD phinisi with 4-5 cabins, still searching for :

-good architect who would help to desing the boat accordingly to the needs of the divers .
    -dry docking costs
    -good crew salaries
    -insurance, approximately how to calculate it
    -any contacts to good project supervisor, as will not be able to stay all the time on the spot, due to my work

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.