Advice on repairing or abandoning old sailboat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Ronjon, Sep 22, 2020.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

This is a late CCA/early IOR boat. While I don't know if this design ever raced, as typical today, cruisers followed racing fashion. At the period the lines were drawn 1965-66, centerboarders had a slight ratings advantage.

Edit to add: This may be one of these boats, but I can't quite make out the design number on the plans.
    Tartan 34 C - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_34_C

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

I saved a copy of the lines plan, but even with it blown up to the maximum, it is difficult to read the notes on the drawing.
    She appears to have been designed for Douglass McL????? Plastic Corp in early 1967 (I cannot make out what comes after McL).
    It mentions a Job No, but this is very blurred - it might be #1904 (re the Tartan 34 C)

3. Ronjon

Ronjon Junior Member

That is correct, it's a 1968 Tartan 34C, the first year they were made and I believe 1904 is the S&S design number.

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

First thing I would do is buy some muriatic acid and dispose of all that growth. Then grind the ripped sides of the keel to a feather edge, stick a bit of foam in as a former and reglass to shape going up to the actual hull.
    The hole in the side probably also from the outside since it's likely to have some furniture on the inside.
    I do hope the boat was really, really cheap, to make it worth the trouble. What's the engine in her (Atomic or diesel) and do you have pictures of the interior? The water you mentioned coming in is probably from the CB stuffing box.

5. Ronjon

Ronjon Junior Member

I got it for $1k, it's a Westerbeke diesel, and I have a few interior pictures IMG_1783.jpg IMG_1778.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1779.jpg IMG_1761.jpg

bajansailor likes this.
  6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Good price. Get those pictures
    Of the inside of the keel.

7. bajansailor

Re the brass plate attached to the companionway hatch, does it mention the builder as Tartan?

Westerbekes are good engines if they are looked after - have you tried turning it over, perhaps with a socket on a bar on the end of the crankshaft (if it is possible to do this)?
    If it does turn over, that is a positive point - at least it is not seized.
    The engine appears to be in it's proper location - but in the view looking down from the companionway it appears to be angled slightly to the centreline of the boat?

Re the last photo, are the stains on the bulkhead watermarks, perhaps from being flooded at some stage previously?
    If they are, then you should look more closely at everything below the watermark level.

Her hull draft is already 5' with the centreboard up - many long keel boats of this size have 5' cdaft without a centreboard, and they still sail well.
    Unless you are very keen on getting maximum performance out of her, it might be easier / simpler to get rid of the centreboard arrangement?

Can you post some photos on deck as well please?

She needs some work, but considering the price you paid for her, and her S & S pedigree (yes, I have a soft spot for all S & S designs) you should get a nice cruising yacht out of this project - assuming that the damages to the hull re possible delamination are not too bad.
    Did you get any sails with her? If so, what condition are they in?
    Similarly re the condition of the mast and rigging?

8. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

As usual there is the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    The good: the Westerbeke is actually a Kubota so it can be resurrected for not much money,
    The bad: you paid about 900$ to much.
    The ugly: You are looking at a full interior refit. I hope I'm not right and it all cleans up beautifully and you only end up doing the usual things.

9. Ronjon

Ronjon Junior Member

The water marks are from the boat losing power and a slow leak from a split scupper drain hose that exits at the water line slowly filling the boat without the previous owner knowing in August. Because of this I had to act quickly to haul the boat out and haven't had an opportunity to assess the engine any farther. That is the correct original location of the engine. I'm not sure how the compensate for it being off center. The jib sail is in good condition, the mainsail is only decent. The mast and the boom are in good condition, the standing rigging looks ok, but I'd like to inspect it closer, especially up top. Some of the sail rigging needs attention, but is functional. These are the best deck photos I have. There are a few spots that need attention, including a bow rail mounting location and a former stanchion mount. 621555178.jpg IMG_1785.jpg

fallguy likes this.
  10. bajansailor

Thank you for posting these additional photos.
    Are there any noticeable spongy / soft areas on the deck or the cabin top?
    If there are, the deck is probably cored with balsa, and it often happens with old boats that water gets into the core via bolts securing deck fittings, or in way of the chainplates for the rigging, and this water then rots the core.

11. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Add localised deck recoring to the to do list. I do hope you open a refit thread with lots of photos.

12. Ronjon

Ronjon Junior Member

I only found one small soft spot on the deck when I looked, maybe 1-2" in diameter.

13. bajansailor

Excellent! That does make her much more appealing.. I have seen yachts of similar size, and much younger, with balsa cored decks that were totally rotten.

And I will second Rumars' request for a re-fit thread with lots of photos showing your progress with her.

14. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Realistically, the mains and secondary's shown in the cockpit shot are worth more than that. If Ronjon does decide to pull the plug early, I see $1,000.00 worth of gear sitting on the boat.

bajansailor likes this.

15. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

For me it's not about the value of what's inside if he scraps it, it's the amount of work needed vs. the asking price of a boat in better shape. The boat has 5000lbs of lead in it so base scrap value is 5,000$ and everything else has to pay for the disposal. But Ronjon bought the boat to use it not scrap it. The same model boat in decent condition (but with the Atomic4) is asking 5,000$ online, and one with a diesel is not much more. I think that a boat that almost sunk and has holes should change hands for a simbolic price as a project. If the owner wants cash he can always scrap it himself or sell it for that intent.

I understand now that some of my earlier comments seem negative, but they weren't intended make the boat look bad. This is a nice model (two young guys just finished a 900 days circumnavigation in one, see Hard Tack — Sailing to Points West https://www.hard-tack.com/boat ) and the OP's boat has a lot of life left. I was just pointing out the work to be done. Now each of those tasks is not extreme by itself, it's just more of them then usual. As long as the OP is prepared to do the jobs I see no reason why this could not be a successful restauration.

One last piece of advice, once salt water reaches open cell foam it's almost impossible to remove the remaining salt. The mattresses and cushions will always be damp and grow mildew, the best course of action is to dispose of them and get new ones.

bajansailor likes this.