Acrylic paint over epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by urisvan, May 29, 2020.

1. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Hi,
    I dont have two parts polyurethane paint. Will it be a problem if i use solvent based(naptha) acylic paint over epoxy resin?
    Regards
    Ulas

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

There shouldn't be any adhesion issues.
    The acrilic is somewhat less durable than a two-part urathane.
    Then the usual concerns of use below the waterline and UV. Some single part acrilics UV stable enough to be exterior rated and sufficiently water resistant for submersion ... Others are not.

3. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

I worried about if it effects epoxy underneath, maybe soften it. If it doesnt no big concern.
    it is a two component acrylic paint and the hardener is a very low vicosity, liquidish material.

And alsi one more question is, can i apply to epoxy putty or should i use primer over the putty?

Regards
    Ulas

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Epoxy is a good substrate for most normal paints, you aren't going to harm the epoxy.

As for using it over putty.
    Painting over putty without using a primer can cause the puttied area to be visible on the surface.

If this makes no difference, then its fine.

5. urisvan

urisvan Senior Member

Thanks guys. It helps.

Regards
    Ulas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.