A shipping container transportable multihull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bobg3723, Mar 5, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

I think it is beyond redemption???
    tspeer, posted alternative proof Farrier F-33 on post 27
    mas , supported tspeer on post 32
    mas , offered FREE!ship website to download ship design software - post 50
    Several suggestions and efforts of various people trying to be helpful were also rejected of ignored (like I used to be ? :D:D)
    I am reminded of that fellow a few weeks ago in the slab-sided aluminium "try" in the "...do a lap" thread:D:D:D

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Now I don't feel bad, What was it you and Jim highjacked this forum about? We should continue...

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Additional drivel of your choosing? - Just to confuse everyone as to where we are? Open your email, so you get alerts on posts, If that is how you have set up, makes keeping track easier of sorted by time/date:D:D:D

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Masai,
    To really highjack... What can you tell me about one of your countryman's designs...Rob Denney of Harry proa.. I need a new mast and I saw his free standing design and video. He wants a total of $2,000AU for plans and engineering. Seems expensive. I can buy and have rigged a 43' used mast for less than that.

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

cuse me,,,,i think i just "fluffed",,:p :D :rolleyes: ;)

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

does anyone have an extra roll of "crap-paper",,,,mine seemed to have gotten wet :(

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

There now Much, it will be better in the morning. Just take the Meds and go to sleep.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

The1 use this, but Kaptin-Jer needs to read/use it first:D:D

Kaptin-Jer,
    Read those posts with minimal interest (not keen on Harry proa or that family) but he seemed to do a fairly thorough job - was also published in Australia's multihull world www.multihull.com.au ... If you have the skills in "carbon & glass", or local builders I would be inclined to go with locals - you can visit and get a feel of how good they are by looking...

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Thanks,
    Mine is a mono hull that would take a lot of engineering below decks to make a free standing mast work. Besides I guess I'm old school, but my mast broke with 2 sets of spreaders. What keeps a free standing spar from breaking?

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k.,,,but with all the "excitement" today,,,,maybe i should,,ummm,,,double up ;)
    and Kapt. Thanks man,,,im one of those that thinks friends are worth WAY more then gold,,money,,or even women,,,,well, if she's a woman friend then,,heh,,
    but anyways,,Thanks friend ;)
    Jim

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Better design, - nothing fixed to the mast on the way up - making weak spots. I am not an engineer, just using logic... The strength of a tube/cylinder is weakened by holes, attachments, inconsistencies in thickness, mid length loads and so on ....

I am looking at the "hitch-Hiker" rig developed by John Hitch for his current "X-IT" and earlier boats. . . No main... I am disorganised but have posted on this somewhere - a search for "X-IT" and "John Hitch" may reward you on that... I do not really like spreaders because of the tensions they can impise on an otherwise good "sky-hook" - and NO main reduces that lateral load...

With luck a rigger or some other expert will howl this idea down or add their own expert views... for your edification and interest:D:D

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

This could be interesting. I do know of a few really good riggers in my area. I have a gut feeling that this type of rig will be pretty expensive, and I would have to build the spar myself. But it is worth following up on.

13. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Engineering and no single points of failure. I'd give you betters odds of keeping a free standing rig in a roll over than a traditional rig. Yachties are stuck in the mud on this one... needless to say I like the idea.

Topic ? What topic.... oh ! Seacarts, they go in containers and, errr well they just go period. Seacart 30

1 person likes this.
  14. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks Heinz,
    Not really my knowledge, Is seacart 30 Aussy? Must have been a quiet wind day...:D what is wrong with our southern designs???

Kaptin -Jer & the1 - sorry no points for the moment Jeff has imposed restraint and therefore I am not allowed? to laugh so much at your antics (not antiques - understand?)

Heinz you got a bonus for helping -mas- much appreciated... The thread starter seems to have gone quiet???????

15. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Seacarts are Sveeeedish..... I think? Carbon fibre one design thingies that are cooked in an oven.

http://www.oceanlakemarine.com/

They fly with terrifying ease, I think toward 20 knots will do it... they also go A over T, mainly cause of the loonies that sail them. Fun in the bay with a captial F... not for visiting twopical is-lands though. Who U calling antiques ?

I need convincing about this mainless idea M, been reading... still confused, must contemplate and get in touch with my "inner sailor", seek advice from the gawds, burn incensed and all that.

:D

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.