A Question About Planking

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Windship277, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windship277

Windship277 Previous Member

Though a clinker is a beautiful look, it is slower and heavier. I should also mention, though tardily, that my source of power not under sail will be...lol, me. Oars. Less wetted surface=good. I did consider a Whitehall as well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Windship277

Nope. I dont buy that. The panks make a monocoque body in both cases. Q is, is which is stronger? Wow! I spelled "monocoque" correctly. Lol.

3. Windship277

Plywoods grains run 90deg to each other and is very weak when stressed in one direction as in bending. I would never use ply for an ocean going boat.

4. Windship277

Is it true that when other ways of construction were discovered, lapstrake became less and less used? Boating is a trade off...you give you get. I like the look of lapstrake way better but not willing to trade looks for strength and performance. I like the dryer ride and the slightly better dynamic initial stability but wouldnt do anything for static stability as when at anchor...but its a trade off.

5. Windship277

Sure, if you can afford it. I dont dout the clinker might be as stiff, Im wondering how long in a seaway, will it hold its stiffness and begin to open. I dont know...boards lain over each other as oppossed to bead and cove end to end....Iwas in yacht construction for 20+ years and owned my own lil biz. Im a lifelong sailor. Before my career in the marine industry, I was a welder fabricator and designed and built everything I did almost...I know a lil about design but no expert. Im just saying im not a newbie to boats and physics.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Again, your assumptions are not based in fact, industry and class standards, nor including common physical properties or simple physics. Instead of conclusions based on assumptions, why not try looking into some engineering principles, such as why a welded plate hull is stronger than a riveted plate hull, which will offer a hint as to why lap is superior to carvel in this regard.

7. Windship277

Ok, Ill do that right now and in the meantime, maybe post something solid instead of emotion.

8. Windship277

9. Windship277

What is the difference between Clinker and Carvel construction?

Carvel built wooden boats and tall ships are made by fixing planks to a frame so the planks butt up against one another. In Clinker building (or lapstrake) hulls the planks overlap along their edges. In a Carvel construction a smooth hull is created, that is stronger than a clinker built hull. However more caulking is required between the joints in carvel than in a clinker construction. The framing gives a carvel construction a stronger hull, meaning it can carry a full sail plan, and can have a longer and broader hull.

Clinker built vessels are lighter because they have less internal framing, meaning they move faster because they displace less water. Clinker vessels are less rigid then carvel constructions; this limits the type of sailing rigs the vessel can take.

[​IMG]
    Our World is Water

10. Windship277

11. Windship277

Ok, now its a little clearer. Wul, thank you for your help Par

12. Windship277

"Clinker vessels are less rigid then carvel constructions; this limits the type of sailing rigs the vessel can take". Ja get that? Make sense?

13. Windship277

I think I remember that the Viking were limited to the size of their ship due to the clinker hulls.

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

From the same reference: Also, carvel planking could be thicker, and therefore stronger, because it did not have to be bent into position. I wonder if the author has ever seen a carvel planking installed on a boat. It has to be bent into shape, the same as for lapstrake/clinker. I would not take that reference as authoritative.

15. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Windship277 Are you interested in traditional construction with carvel planks caulked but not fastened or glued together and traditional lapstrake construction with planks riveted but not glued together? Or are you interested in a glued construction with the planking material glued together? The design in your first post has a traditional shape but the plans show several variations of glued construction, only one of which has laps.