A Question About Planking

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Windship277, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Rummars, I have said on one occasion that I have absolutely no experience in building wooden ships with the "traditional system" and that I therefore needed to understand some of the statements. I totally agree with what you say. I should read some books because my lack of background is absolute. But let's not forget that we are talking about a person of our day, Windship277 who, in our days, "wants to build a Sea Bright 18".
    If this gentleman is going to build his boat by the traditional system, with the materials, glues and union elements of 50 years ago, the expert will have to give some advice that, I am sure, will not be the same as if this gentleman wants to use the current materials.
    Therefore, in my opinion, the questions that I formulate should be answered in accordance with the procedures that current wooden boat designers use. You can design a boat with the shapes of 100 years ago but, I am sure, the procedures of construction and union, and therefore of calculation, will be very different.
    As I do not know anything, I think the following: if someone moves me well, perhaps, I will understand why and how they change the scantlings of Windship277's ship, depending on the system of union he adopt.
    You will have checked that I have a very hard head and I think that it is necessary to be something like superman to put some things in my head. I, for my part, leave the discussion thanking once again, almost everyone, the time spent with me. But I will follow your advice and look for books on this subject. Moreover, I will look for what current methods are the most appropriate to calculate the scantlings in this type of constructions. I wanted to know the ancients but it was not possible.
    Cheers.

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Just as usually you're talking nonsense again TANSL, the boat Windship 277 linked in post #1 doesn't need to be converted to take use of current materials, this is just you twisting and turning the info in the given link for polemic sake, as the linked boat is designed for modern materials and construction techniques already, and has choices of them . . .

Post #1 link: Sea Bright 18

‘‘ SEA BRIGHT (MICROCRUISER) 18
    LOA: 18′
    BEAM: 5′ 1″
    DRAFT: 8 ½″
    WEIGHT: 350 to 500 lbs depending on construction & use.
    RIG: Ketch—Sprit main, balance jib and sprit mizzen

TYPE: New Jersey Beach Skiff. Suitable for sailing and rowing with one or two oarsmen in the open ocean and coastal waters. This model is designed with watertight compartments and optional platform forward for use as a camp skiff and microcruiser. This vessel is also an excellent lifeboat for large yachts and commercial vessels.

CONSTRUCTION: Marine plywood covered with epoxy-saturated Xynole-polyester fabric. The hull is frameless, being built over bulkheads. Options for planking include lapstrake, chine log and stitch-and-glue. Skill-level required for construction is moderate to high (lapstrake only).

PLANS: Full Plans include full-size patterns for bulkheads and a copy of The Sharpie Book (construction manual). No lofting required.

OPTIONS: We can build either bare boat or finished boat and ship to you.

Design Specs
    Designer: Reuel B. Parker
    Year of Design: 1995
    LOA: 18'
    Beam: 5' 1"
    Draft: 8 1/2"
    Displacement: 400 lbs
    Materials: Wood
    Propulsion: Sail & Oars
    Skill Level to Build: Moderate (Full-Size Patterns included)
    Available as: Complete Plans
    Cost: $150
    ’’

So, you're just disturbing his thread TANSL as usual, with posting your twisting and turning nonsense, of even the build info . . :confused:

3. Angélique

The in the link given build method example doesn't look anything near TANSL claims it to be . . :confused:

He must be obsessed by twisting and turning for polemical reasons to even deny the given build info . . :eek:

[​IMG]

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Mr Boatdesign forum moderator, I have already sent you two notices so that you try to keep order in this thread. I have tried to ignore what was not worth being taken into account. I have had patience and good education but I assure you that I know how to be very rude and that I know how to despise someone who does not deserve to be appreciated. Please take your letters on the matter before my patience runs out. Thank you and I apologize for this embarrassing spectacle that I have, may be, propitiated myself, although I never would have wanted it.

5. Angélique

TANSL, just point out where I was wrong whenever I said you're twisting and turning all the given info on this thread, or just stop disturbing here by twisting and turning everything. Thank you.

6. Angélique

Oh, and please don't cry, as it breaks my heart, you know that . . :(

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

TANSL has hi-jacked many threads with his bad attitude. He takes sentence fragments out of context using them to argue and insult other members. All the while claiming he doesn't know anything about boats :(

8. Angélique

Oops, I'd better notice the threat here on this thread . . . :D

I'm not sure though if this threat is in accordance with the forum's TOS (Terms of Service and Rules) . . :rolleyes:

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Well, it's clear that I'm getting my due. :p Any naval technician, design, architect or engineering, who wants to seize the moment ?. That would hurt me a little more, this does not.
    I've never insulted anyone. That is false.
    Really, I promise, I'll stop here.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  10. Angélique

Thanks Gonzo, a lot have noticed this behavior and be annoyed by it, and now he's getting his ego a little spanked with just the truth behind his postings, and it seems hardly to bear for this poor gentleman . . :confused:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  11. Angélique

Well, I'm not sure there will be a lot of crying over this, but do as you say, and you won't be a liar . . :eek:

12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Gentlemen, I do believe that we can rise above the level of a pissing contest. Please do so.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is a genuine grievance when there is one member who continuously harasses and insults others.

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

If everyone could please just make a little extra effort to be kind to one another, it would be greatly appreciated. It's fine to challenge an idea, or point out when something may be incorrect with factual and additional quality information which is important and appreciated, but when posts or threads take on acrid tone it just becomes unpleasant for everyone. If a little extra effort is made to keep things on the positive, the world would be a better place (and threads are certainly more interesting to read and learn from!) Thank you.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is more a translation and interpretation issue than anything else and it happens a lot more than we realize. Adjectives, adverbs, etc. don't always translate well, plus sentence construction and syntax can be drastically different after a translation, making the original intent, something less than desired. I used to have this difficulties, but about a decade ago, I stopped reading verbatim and started looking for "inference" and reply intent, more so than actual content.

Supplied by TANSL:
    [​IMG]

This said, I'm not sure why TANSL is having such difficulty with getting his head around the "lightness" of lapstrake over the other traditional wooden builds, as it's pretty obvious to me once you look at a cross sectional view. The laps fall into convenient longitudinal locations, forming stringers, nearly doubling the hull shell thickness across a significant percentage of the skin's area, so the planking can be thinner over all, hence lighter. Batten seam construction has the same advantage.

I agree with him that there isn't a modern compliance that can be relied on for scantlings, but there are several older classifications that can be, if designing traditional build.