a louvered wing ground effect craft with a tail and ailerons

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by skeatesy, Nov 13, 2010.

1. skeatesy

skeatesy skeatesy

Attached Files:

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Yeah i like it but have you thought about using the same principle with a tunnel hull ?
    I have a son thats into model planes and i went to a meet with him . There was a inventor guy there had done something similar to what you have but with a plane , had the louvers in the top, this thing wasn't fast but could climb very steeply , just needed a metre of runway to take off and very Manoeuvrable in the air and would land almost without any runway and simply drop very quickly out of the air with very little forward speed !! I must have a look through my pictures and see if i have it with me !!
    You are part way on a track of discovery !!!:D

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT !!Its just the wing which was detachable from the fuselage as he had other wings he interchanged on this particular plane !!
    Not a silly idea so get on with it !! I was really interested in this and could see the idea getting used for a tunnel hulled boat . Because of the louvers the foil shape was not so critical .
    When looking at tunnel designs the foil shape used is what makes it work but most foil sections used are from planes that fly much faster than what the boat will ever travel at and so not all the effective lift is produced that could be used .
    Once did a tunnel design around a wing foil section and it is possible to get a pretty cool looking boat with some innovative thinking right to the back and a engine cowl completely redesigned with the foil design in mind .
    Angle of attach and Stall of a wing foil needs to really be taken into consideration and the effects when all goes wrong and you get blow over that used to happen quite regularly and still happens now and then these days as well . Water and air reacting together then add speed and you have ??

Attached Files:

4. Jenny Giles

Jenny Giles Perpetual Student

It's an interesting wing. What are the louvres are supposed to do?

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I looked and wondered myself !
    A long time ago i had looked seriously at slow speed ,high lift wing sections for aircraft that could be used in situations when there was little space for runways . Like a model that will fly at walking speed and when powered will lift off and 2mph of ground speed , i guess its a side kick to that theory with a cross over to Surface effect which is a very interesting subject on its own and we feel it every-time we take off and land in any aircraft , When i fly i always sit where i can see the wing and see the effects the air has from the time you taxi , take off and in flight till i land , A wing is an increadable piece of design and engineering .

Had a friend that was head aircraft engineer for air new Zealand and we used to spend hours tossing ideas round of stuff used on aircraft that could be and should used for boat design . This was all before computers were a eccentual part of everyday life so was just ideas scribbling on paper then, but the ideas and thought are still there .
    Some of the older planes were airborne and flying at 60mph so boats that reach those kinds a speeds are probably becoming aerodynamically unstable . Have you seen boat designs change much in you life time ? cars designs have changed to become more stable with the effects of air at speed but not much for boat design . Maybe im looking in the wrong places !
    I know because my old 14 foot 1975 semi cabin boat at 120 km is feeling the effects and getting a little flighty and very light on the steering and with a head wind its even worse !! So its on borderline of becoming unstable and thats just 60 mph ,mind you it was never meant to have a V4 115 hp Yamaha on the back with 450mm of set back and handles like a Porsche in the wet with bald tires , even the old tired 75hp omc was not to bad , BUT what the hell only live once !!!.:D:p
    Love speed !!

6. skeatesy

skeatesy skeatesy

multi tandem wings are very inefficient for flight but since no one has gone very far with the idea in ground effect just may be the ground effect will lower the drag but keep it in ground effect more comfortably ..the reason being that a single wing can still stall upwards in ground effect so there is still a danger there but a centerpede type lay out will fly with a 1 to 1 glide ratio but in ground effect utilise the multi wings for down force as where as a single wing ground effect vehicle is still trying to fly but a multi wing is not but rather in the real idea of ground effect .

7. skeatesy

skeatesy skeatesy

multi vain wing ground effect is shorter span and less likelty to take flight and stall or flare more comfortable in ground effect ..much like an airconditioning fan

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.