A boat a motor and a trailer

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Dave T, Nov 9, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

With ethanol we are paying more and getting less. It is a travesty.

2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Winter Storage

Thanks for the replies guys. I checked the info from Browns Marina I'll get some fogging oil and fuel stabilizer and follow their instructions. As far as I know this motor has never been run on gas containing alcohol. I always use the regular grade that supposedly doesn't have ethanol in all small engines and also in my skid loader it's about 10 cents more a gallon but that's only 2 bucks more for 20 gallons. It's going to be a long winter now that the boat is finished I really miss working on it and I keep trying to figure out what I can do to make it better, maybe a canopy and a bigger motor I'm not rich.

Dave T :)

3. hoytedow

The winter will seem even longer when we see how cold it is going to be. You might be able to build your own canopy having seen how clever you are.
    Google it. I found this in 10 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsMq_cX4u8U

Good luck!

4. hoytedow

5. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Thanks Hoyt. I checked out the sights and got some pretty good ideas. I'll pick up some more 3/4" aluminum conduit for the bows next time I get to the city with the trailer.

6. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Hi everyone, been busy getting ready for winter. Got all my wood cut for the shop and in the shed saves a lot of money on LP. Got a little more done on the lifting device for the boat and the guy that owns the campground in Buena Vista is supposed to build me a 65 HP outboard for next summer I traded him an old forklift I had for it. I don't know for sure if he'll really get it done or not but we'll see. What goes around comes around.

Dave T

7. hoytedow

Happy Thanksgiving.

8. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all. Santa was good to me, got a stereo system and an MP3 player for the boat. Boats stored in the shed for Winter. I'll put the battery charger on the batteries this weekend if I don't forget, just to keep them fully charged. Would like to have her back on the river April 15 again if the ice is out that is. Hope to get the canopy built as soon as it warms up a little. I'll get her back in the shop right after our annual Daytona party.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.
    Dave T

9. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Just waiting for Spring

Went to the campground to check things out. We'd had about 8" of heavy wet snow part of the boat slips collapsed from the weight and some of the others don't look too good. I'm sure they'll be fixed for next Summer other than that everything looked OK.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      320.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      323 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      593.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      466.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      471.4 KB
      Views:
  10. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Still waiting for Spring

Got the boat back in the shop a month later than planned. The ground was froze this morning so I figured I'd get it done before it got to muddy. Their predicting 1 to 3" of snow this Sunday. Everything looks OK I'll work on getting the stereo system installed and get started building a canopy. Hope it warms up pretty soon I want to get back on the river.

11. hoytedow

Hey, Dave. It looks like you are having a long winter. It is 75 degrees F here and the winds are gentle breezes and the Sun is shining. Not said to make you feel bad but to make you feel warm. :)

12. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

1 year aniversary

One year ago today the Julie Ann made her maiden voyage. 101 years ago on this day the Titanic sunk. Was hoping to have her on the Mississippi today but it looks like it might be awhile yet. The Mississippi is flooding, hopefully I won't have to pull the camper out. They're talking a lot of rain this week and rain and snow mix for Thursday. Someday it will be Spring. Got the stereo installed on the boat and did a little work on the canopy, hard to get enthused when it's this cold all the time. Oh well Summers coming I hope.

13. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Mississippi Flooding

Just wanted to say Hi to everybody. My boat is still in the shop waiting for the water to go down. The parking lot is under water and you can't even see the boat ramp and has been for the last month. Hope to be able to be on the river the weekend after next if the river gets down enough. Have to get more material for the canopy I'll post some pics when I get it done. Been real busy in the shop and I bought a bigger camper so haven't had much time to work on it.

Dave T :mad:

14. hoytedow

I hope the water drops some fine new nutrients on that great Iowa farmland. :)

And then let it recede so you can get something done!

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Why do you think it's great farmland Hoyt? :) The Mississippi and Ohio valleys are the same deal, silt laden floods "prime" the area every so often. They couldn't survive in northern Africa if it wasn't for the Nile's annual torture. Down here in sunny Florida, the hurricanes keep our aquifer full and the Everglades from evaporating away.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.