A boat a motor and a trailer

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Dave T, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Got the boat top side up and back in the shop I'm hoping to get the last coat of epoxy on tonight. Do you need to let epoxy cure for seven days before painting or does it matter? I did on the bottom side. Ive been thinking about making my own prop for my 11 horse briggs motor. I did some calculations with the prop calc program from Castle marine and the current 3 blade 8" prop will only need about 5 horsepower at the brigg's RPM it looks like an 8.5 diameter four blade prop with about a 5" pitch and a DAR of about 70% would be close I'm trying to figure out an easy way to determine the surface area of an odd shape like a prop blade my cad program can't do this. I will do some better calculations on this after I get the boat finished.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy will shrink a little in a few weeks, so you might get some print through, but no it doesn't really matter if a mirror finish isn't what you're after. Scuff it good, prime and paint.

3. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Thanks PAR I'll go ahead with primer and first coat of paint this weekend. Too bad I have to work for a living I'd much rather work on my boat.

Dave T
    "there's never enough time to do it right but there's always enough time to do it over"

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The above statement no longer holds true.

PM me if interested.

Attached Files:

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

This is an interesting thread. I missed it somehow before today, and I'm surprised it hasn't had more responses. :confused:

6. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

The boat

I got the topside of the boat painted, used primer and top paint from Menards. I'm now working on covers for storage compartments and railings I'm using 3/4" aluminum conduit for railings. I was too far along on this build when I found this forum and the design and construction techniques are my own. I have lots of construction photos I'll post after it is completed, I can't get any decent pictures in the shop now.

Dave T

7. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

The Boat [first picture]

This is my boat project I've been working off and on since last July. I'm planning on maiden voyage April 15. I have finished the storage compartments on one side and the rear railings hope to work on the others and more railing this week end. I may add another 3' with another raised deck to the rear later but for now it had to fit in the shop and leave enough room to work around. I will post construction photos after maiden voyage and let you know how she performs. Her name is The USS Julie Ann named after my wife.

Attached Files:

8. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Boat

Got the license and registration for the boat yesterday. Made a HIN plate and got it on the stern have to get registration numbers yet but no big hurry on that. Worked on the storage compartment covers last night I should have them finished this weekend after I get the railings done I'll get back to the trailer. Looks good for April 15 launch the Winter's been real mild so far.

Dave T

9. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

Had to move the boat out of the shop for our annual Datona party next Sunday. Got the storage compartments finished and all but the left front railing done. I'll get it back in the shop right after the party I'm hoping to have her pretty much finished in a couple more weeks. I'll figure out seats and steering controls after I see how she sets in the water with the motor mounted. Here are a couple of pictures. The little race car is a 5/8 scale late model simulator that I built we run at the party it connects to a computer and has air cylinders on the corners that make it move.

Dave T

Attached Files:

10. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

Got the boat back in the shop. Finished the railings and she's now ready enough for the water on April 15. Started on the side rails on the trailer should have them finished next weekend and hopefully the winch mounted. Still lots of little things to do yet.

11. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

Got the boat pretty much finished . The side boards, stop board and winch on the trailer. Bought a 55# thrust Minn Kota bow mount trolling motor with foot control used for 175 bucks hooked it to a battery and it seems OK. Hope to get the trailer finished this weekend it needs fenders, wiring and lights. 3 more weekends till launch.

12. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

Got the trailer finished and all the required numbers and stickers on the boat. Got the trolling motor mounted on the bow and the Briggs outboard conversion on the transom. Have to redo the front railings to clear the trolling motor when it's raised up. I made a list of all the little things left to do, lots of little details and the list keeps getting longer. Two more weekends left till launch.

13. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

The Julie Ann is ready for water. 6 days till launch the weather forecast is calling for rain Thursday through Sunday hope for a break otherwise maiden voyage maybe real short. Here's a couple of pictures.

Attached Files:

14. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

Julie Ann maiden voyage

April 14 1912 the unsinkable Titanic on her maiden voyage struck an iceberg. 100 years later April 14 2012 the Julie Ann was first put in the water for a float test. On April 15 1912 the Titanic sunk. On April 15 2012 the Julie Ann made her maiden voyage with much better results. The weather wasn't the greatest with a steady 30 mph wind and severe thunderstorm warnings. The Julie Ann performed with no problems. More later when I get more time.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

15. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member

boat progress

Got the boat home and back in the shop. Started building battery boxes to mount batteries now I know where they need to be for balance. I will have two large deep cycle batteries wired in parallel in front and a small garden tractor battery stern for the Briggs starter. I had a 30 amp fuse for the 55# front trolling motor but it wasn't big enough at wide open throttle. I've now shortened the wiring an eliminated the fuse. I will install a temporary amp gauge in line and see how many amps it pulls. My deep cycle batteries are marked 27DC-5 Does this tell amp hour rating there aren't any other markings? I am also working on the steering wheel assembly. Is there a reason boat steering wheels are usually mounted on the starboard side instead of the left like an American car? The trailer worked perfectly with no sway at 70 mph. The boat worked real well considering the wind and weather. With my weight, the Briggs motor, a 40# thrust trolling motor, a large deep cycle battery and 2 gallons of fuel in the stern. 2 deep cycle batteries, tool box full of tools and front trolling motor in the bow she sat 5 1/2" in the water at the rear and 3" in front according to my displacement figures I'm guessing about a 1000#

Dave T
    more later got to get back to making a living.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.