80 feet monohull sailboat concept

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by F17 Francesco, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

-------------------------
    I like the reverse bow as well-looks good. You might consider that in the Volvo 70's and especially in the Open 60's the daggerboards are angled opposite the way you show them so as to generate a bit of vertical lift. Three of the Open60's have even gone to curved lifting daggerboards similar to the ones pioneered in the ORMA 60 multihulls.
    I tend to like the reverse sheer too-but the waterlines -as shown- seem to be wrong. The reverse sheer on a low freeboard boat allows for decent freeboard midship when the boat is heeled-so not a bad choice technically.
    Best of luck-your desire to learn is admirable-keep it up and good luck!

Pictures-click on the image for larger size. Note how the daggerboards on Groupama(VO70) are angled outboard at the top so that as the boat heels they will develop vertical lift as well as lateral resistance. On Virbac-Paprec III, the board appears as though it is angled in the traditional way(vertical when heeled) but because the board is curved(pix #2 and rough sketch 5) the board actually develops vertical lift when heeled with the board at a substantial angle(bottom of the foil inboard). I included a rough sketch of the difference between old and new straight daggerboard angles and another showing how a curved board can be angled inboard at the top ,like a traditional board and yet angled inboard at the bottom like the modern straight boards. An advantage of the curved board is that the angle of incidence of the vertical lifting portion of the board can be adjusted independently of the lateral resistance portion of the foil by simply pivoting the board top fore and aft.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. F17 Francesco

F17 Francesco Junior Member

A misspelling: canard from wikipedia. In italy the daggerboad have this name canard from it.wikipedia

Yes, Of course.

The next project will be a cruise 7m. the difficulty is not just draw the boat, but also use computer programs. One step a time.

I noticed after the drowing, dont't take care of proportion in that img.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

As you refine your drawing , a good thing to remember is that their is no such thing as style....beauty.

Sheer lines...Bow Profile..its all irrelevant

Everything...a teaspoon.. is pure form and function.

Doug Lords curved foils ? They aren't " beautiful "...they are form and function.

Pure engineering, beauty .... equals Form and function.... and this becomes style.

Be careful with stylizing

http://[​IMG]

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Thanks for the pics, Francesco. The hull has made quite a progress since this morning. :)

Now, the above pic shows the influence of the reverse sheer I've been talking about. Tell me, honestly, do you like how the starboard sheer curves into the stem while the port sheer looks almost like a straight line, from that point of view? Please do not be offended if I say that I don't. :( That apparent asymmetric deck curvature would be much less pronounced if the sheer was not reversed.

I personally also do not like how the waterlines form a hollow in the bow region:
    prospettivax1.png
    Some say it is a source of an additional wave drag, though I have yet to see proofs for that claim.

But it imho will be a source of unaesthetic dark areas when the hull is exposed to light coming from particular angles. This view gives a hint about what could happen:
    prospettiva1.png

Cheers

5. F17 Francesco

[​IMG]
    the upper image is the new bow, i saved both.

[​IMG]

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What's the point of this exercise?

7. daiquiri

The mother of all questions. :)

8. michael pierzga

Young guys drawing boats.

Nothing wrong with that. Better than standing on the street corner with a spray paint can drawing graffiti on your car

9. F17 Francesco

next year (in February) I'll have to choose which university to attend. I'm undecided between chemistry and marine engineering-yacht design. I was trying to figure out if I will like the second option, or if I had a distorted view of what it really is.

10. daiquiri

Well, chemistry will give you a job. ;)

Yacht design... Well, it might. Just might. It will depend mostly on how able you'll be in fighting your way through the jungle of life.

11. michael pierzga

Google... "Worldwide geologist shortage" " engineering geologist "

Good money, secure career, great way to pay for a yacht

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

No one goes into yacht design to get rich, few actually can make a living at it and maybe, if you're lucky, the Navy will pick you up (after graduation), give you a position, designing conduit and duct work runs for the next 10 to 15 years, before you can actual step out and design an actual boat, which of course will be something that you wouldn't be caught dead on, let alone could afford.

13. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Daquiri and Michael have offered wise advice. Chemical engineering or geological engineering will give you a secure future. Do yacht design for fun not profit.

14. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

@OP
    http://chevaliertaglang.blogspot.co.at/2012/04/volvo-ocean-race-yacht-drawings-design_17.html

here you find the linesplans of the latest VO 70s as well as certain plans from older boats for comparison...
    very interesting article as well...
    take a look at them and you will immediately see what is wrong with your waterlines...
    where is the center of flotation on your drawing?
    should be near the keel because the keel weighs at least 3,5 tons while the whole boat displaces around 8 tons... at least these are the rough figures of the current VO 70. ;)

15. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

You better not try to build that boat, or even put out plans for it.
    You would be dumped on by the CBTF crew who have the patent for it and are very prompt to take legal action against anyone who comes near to it without paying a hefty royalty.
    (CBTF, Canting Ballast, Twin Foil.) :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.