~60' Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jroger, Mar 25, 2014.

1. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

'Under $200k' is also $5,000. Do you have $200K to build this boat,
    or are you 15 years old with a dream?

You do know that the torqueedo 80hp setup is $100k right? A 15 year old would not know that.

2. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

I think you would be a lot better buying a tired but useable houseboat for $30k and starting from there. Try CL in the places that have big houseboat scenes like Utah, the Ozarks, etc. you might be surprised what a few thou will buy and at least the engineering of the hulls is already done. Why try to reinvent the wheel when there are second hand wheels for sale all over the place?

One thing no one has asked is what river system are you planning on using? The speed of the current will make a big difference in the power requirements. I would not even consider the Mississippi given what I have heard about the current to say nothing of the very heavy barge traffic.

3. jroger

jroger Junior Member

From what I remember the motor was ~$15k and each battery was ~$20k (yes the batteries cost more than the motor).

No need to be rude with your comments.

That is a very good comment and I agree, been looking at barges but they are often pretty expensive around here.

edit: here are the prices for deep blue, with 80hp motor and 4 batteries its about $86k

DEEP BLUE 80
    Outboard System PRICE in USD
    (without batteries) 19,999
    Battery and operating Cost
    Number of batteries 2 3 4
    Capacity in kWh 26 39 52
    Total battery bank cost USD 32,998 49,497 65,996

4. nimblemotors

Sorry, don't mean to be rude, are you 15 years old and have $200,000 or not?

5. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Building is almost never cheaper than buying used.

Building a one off with new technology, and questionable practicality is going to be a very expensive undertaking.

Used boats from reputable builders have residual value when you are done with it. Clobbered together home builds are worth next to nothing when you go and try to sell it.

6. jroger

jroger Junior Member

I am neither 15yearsoldandwhatisthis nor do I have $200k on hand to build a floating hotel with.
    There is no need to be upset.

The comparable barges I have seen are between $100-200k. Barges are also very heavy and often made of steel which will require significant maintenance.

If there is a place to get plastic/fiber coated barges I would be very interested to know about it.

7. nimblemotors

I'm just wondering, because at $200k, you can buy a lot of existing boats.
    Sorry I was wrong about $100k torqueedo, they lowered it to only $85k,
    you saved a few dollars there.
    BTW, do you have $85k to spend on this boat?

<removed>

For $20,000 I know of a high quality 40ft pontoon boat for sale.
    Do you have $20k???

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  8. jroger

jroger Junior Member

Not trolling, I do not have the money on hand as I said.
    I would be interested to see this $20k boat though, or even a better idea for something along the lines I posted originally.

For example if I didnt use the expensive fancy engines but instead opted for diesel or gas motors and saved some money what else could be done to lower price?

9. Westfield 11

eBay has a couple of Big Foot 60's for under $4000 each, compared to $65k for one Torqueedo with batteries, you can buy a shitload of anything else. Hell, you could buy a whole Houseboat with the savings....

10. jroger

jroger Junior Member

Well, lets get back to the original post:

I learned about flopper stoppers, they seem like one good option in a shallow enough anchorage.

I saw some interesting hull shape diagrams in another thread on here, some sort of quad hull; what would be the ideal shape to absorb incoming waves when at anchor while also staying somewhat hydrodynamic?

11. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I may have missed the answer - above it was asked what waters this will operate in.

Start by defining and prioritizing:
    1.) What waters this will operate in
    2.) What range you require
    3.) What speed you require
    4.) What draft you can accept
    5.) How many hours you will spend under power yearly

12. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Hi, JRoger.

I've been tinkering with my own ideas -- who around here hasn't? -- and I would like to suggest something adapted for your platform that might give you both more usable deck space and interior space.

Like some of the midsized paddlewheel boats of old have most of the deck formed by the pontoon structure enclosed as accommodations save for what is needed for walking around the boat or any swimming platform you may want. Forward raise a full width pilot house (or partial width with some bridge deck around it and to the front) by maybe 3-5 feet to improve visibility and maybe add a raised bulwark at the bow to give more security in those chops that will happen because someday someone will drive the thing across the wrong bit of water relative to what you intend now ... probably a brother in law. Then you have the entire roof less your pilot house to place under a well built Bimini top (people will try to brace themselves with the things, or so I'm told).

This might slightly reduce your windage as well.

Are you intending to use three or four pontoons for reduced draft etc?

13. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

14. jroger

jroger Junior Member

You guys really don't like those electric motors.

Sounds interesting.

Hi, JRoger.

I've been tinkering with my own ideas -- who around here hasn't? -- and I would like to suggest something adapted for your platform that might give you both more usable deck space and interior space.

Like some of the midsized paddlewheel boats of old have most of the deck formed by the pontoon structure enclosed as accommodations save for what is needed for walking around the boat or any swimming platform you may want. Forward raise a full width pilot house (or partial width with some bridge deck around it and to the front) by maybe 3-5 feet to improve visibility and maybe add a raised bulwark at the bow to give more security in those chops that will happen because someday someone will drive the thing across the wrong bit of water relative to what you intend now ... probably a brother in law. Then you have the entire roof less your pilot house to place under a well built Bimini top (people will try to brace themselves with the things, or so I'm told).

This might slightly reduce your windage as well.

Are you intending to use three or four pontoons for reduced draft etc?[/QUOTE]

Excellent idea, this is definitely something to look into. Not sure how many pontoons, I am still contemplating FMS post.

SF bay and delta.

Under 100 miles should be sufficient. If we're talking about combustion engines extra fuel can be stowed.

Low speed is acceptable, 4-12 knots with 4 being standard operation

The canals are pretty deep in the area so draft is not hugely important

Daily motoring between locations.

15. Westfield 11

I have been boating in the delta and it really is not very big. IMHO you would quickly get bored with the same places month after month year after year. Unless you are really looking for a float home and not a houseboat. In addition, SF Bay is well known for high winds, rough seas and strong currents. If you intend to spend any time there you will need more than a couple of pontoons with some electric motors.

I really have to suggest that you need to do a whole lot more thinking about this scheme.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.