6.5kts With 150 watts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guest625101138, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I tested my latest boat today. It ended up heavier than design so a tad more power required than design. The WL beam is more like 480mm than the design 440mm with the extra weight.

Basically it verifies Michlet again. (Many thanks Leo) I am able to do 6.5kts with 150 watts. I had an issue with the capstan drive unit that prevented full power test but hope to sort it out and see what full power can get in a couple of weeks.

The KM as-built is 340mm and my KG is about 280mm so it is quite stable once I am seated. It leans into turns and feels like I could roll it if I steered hard at any speed over 5kts.

Rick

Attached Files:

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Rick, you have peaked my interest. I would like to know more about your capstan drive set up and the boat. I visited your site and found some great pictures but nothing on this boat.

Gary

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Gary
    The capstan drive was developed by a fellow HPB enthusiast. Each of the two tiny capstans are fitted with a roller clutch. The wire that wraps on the capstans is connented to foot pedals that swing from a pivot at the front of the cockpit like pendulums. When one wire is pulling the other is retracting. A bungee cord at the front of the pedals ensures slack side tension on the rewinding capstan. It is a simple system that does not require precision engineering.

Most of my previous boats have used cycle cranks with right angle drive. I have also used oscillating foils for propulsion. The idea with the pendulum arms was to keep my legs low to reduce the KG. This way I could build a reasonably efficient hull that does not require outriggers for stability.

Rick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.