6.5 to 7.5 metre performance/cruise multihulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gary Baigent, Feb 27, 2015.

1. santacruz58

santacruz58 Senior Member

alternate rudder

Hi Corley
    I like this rudder on a dutch fsr 32 farrier. It kicks back if you hit something, and slides up and down like most dagger rudder blades. I hope my picture is attached and shows what I mean.
    nelson

Attached Files:

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Hi Nelson,
    Thanks for the suggestion but this design isn't really suitable for a transom mount rudder. It could use a breakout or hinged cassette inside a slot though which Kurt has drawn I am intrigued by the hinging transom idea though.

Attached Files:

3. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

If not whole transom, maybe a portion off it? I like the idea cause it might have aDded benefits like some of high end monos of late. You could hide steps there or have a cubby gear or whatever!

Barry

4. santacruz58

Hi Corley
    Yes I have thought about this before. The problem I can see is that the rudder blade has to be straight forward for the cassette to swing back if you hit something or the cassette has to extend down past the hull enough for the rudder to clear the hull if it is turned while hitting something. I had not considered the swinging transom.
    If Gary is building more interior space he must be planning to sail further afield. More chance of running aground. I definitely like the kick up option.
    nelson

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Got to remember it's only 6.5 metre overall and down below, although I pushed myself to make a larger main hull, is still like living confined under a coffee table. You could sleep okay and sit with head out of hatch. It is live with what you've got.
    The concern of hitting ground with rudder. We sail a lot in the extensive areas of upper Waitemata which is full of reefs and shallow banks; that means keeping the sloping dagger well down as a feeler guage because it is deeper than rudder. We are talking of water depth of less than waist height. And so far after decades of sailing here, we have survived okay. You need to know where the shallow ground is of course. Also clear water is definitely a help. I would rather the feeler guage dagger than the complications and messiness of kickup rudders - which are not much use on T foil rudder designs anyway, in fact bit of a curse.
    Here is an early (grainy film) shot of Sid and Power of 2, tide around a third of the way out; you can see long Meola Reef starting to show in distance; this is the area where we day sail.

Attached Files:

6. Gary Baigent

Got some paint on the 650.

Attached Files:

7. santacruz58

New paint

Looks good Gary. Looking at the way your beam mounts, I take it you aren't going with the rotating bearing and beam mount. I am guessing that you just want to be able to take it out of the water in the fall and not have to worry about having it on the mooring as you have enough boats to look after.
    I saw this website the other day and I thought your followers might find it interesting.[​IMG]
    It is a pretty cool trifoiler.
    nelson

8. santacruz58

Well that didn't work. Here is the website. project.kiteboat.com
    nelson

9. Gary Baigent

No, I'm persevering with the movable beam. Means to swing it requires lifting up from the U beam nest/base and swinging it fore and aft. The male bearing is tall enough to retain the pivot point position. Mast of course has to be lowered first. The floats will have to be small and the foils lifted or removed, haven't decided yet what I'm doing there. How about two sets of foils each side, no floats?
    ps: have only two boats on the water now. The 650 will be on a trailer ... eventually.
    pps: The kiteboat is very much a similar platform concept.

Attached Files:

10. santacruz58

Hi Gary
    Will the beam be light enough to move with one person?
    I was looking at sat. pictures of New Zealand and there is a very interesting area at the northwest end of the south island. It looks like the fjords along the coast of Norway with lots of bays and inlets. Looks like a neat place to explore one summer. If you have your boat on a trailer this is an option for you.
    nelson

11. Gary Baigent

Nelson, you're talking about Nelson (province) where I come from and the area you're interested in is Abel Tasman National Park and maybe also the harbour on west coast side named Westhaven. For sure, beautiful areas but it is not bad up here in Auckland either with Hauraki Gulf, Coromandel, Bay of Islands (see photographs of Rawhiti - where I lived for a year). However, I think you're meaning the north east top of South Island and that is the Pelorus and Marlborough Sounds. You get no wind or savage williwaws there, also a fast tidal current at French Pass. There are famous etchings/drawings of early ships going sideways through there.
    The beam is easily lifted by one person. However to lift it from the bed requires walking round to both sides, levering a little each time and placing blocks until it clears for swinging. With two people is much faster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  12. Gary Baigent

Graffiti ideas on my shed wall: how to connect foils/floats to beam - how to keep weight down - how to not bury foil/float in hard gusts?
    left and centre: swelling case and double foils - right: single foil and planing base to upper fat section, planing shape set at 5 degrees attack or so. - far right: loose mockup, foil will be set lower than pictured.
    Also the lifting section foils could be either facing out (as I have in the sketch) or facing in (I can switch foils round from port to starboard) - realized that when foils lifted and the beam swung fore and aft for transporting, they won't foul bow and stern of main hull - even if facing inwards. Confused? I was too for awhile.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  13. santacruz58

By the way Gary I like the painting that you have in your shed .
    nelson:)

Attached Files:

14. Gary Baigent

Went up in a hot air balloon some years ago riding/sailing? from the Kaipara river near its mouth to the Kaipara harbour on Auckland's west coast and over to the east landing near Warkworth. The painting is of the river soon after we left at dawn. I gave it away - taking up too much room in the tight shed confines.

15. santacruz58

beam windage

Hi Gary
    I have been pondering this question for a while. I was looking at a picture of Sid's beam and wondering how it reacts to wind crossing it. Say at anchor when you get a strong gust or when sailing with a strong gust. Is there any lift or down force that you have noticed?
    nelson

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.