50th Anniversary Build - Hartley TS21 Trailer Sailer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jumbuck, Apr 16, 2010.

1. jumbuck

jumbuck Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I have decided to build a Hartley TS21 trailer sailer. Yes, I know its old and before people wonder why in goodness would anybody choose to build such an old design when there are many newer, there's actually method to my madness.

Next year is the 50th Anniversary on the Hartley TS21 trailer sailer design, a truly amazing milestone. And there has been a huge loss of interest in the concept of home building little trailable yachts amongst the Australian public over the last couple of decades. So, why not try and stimulate people's interest by using a build of the 50th Anniversary TS21 as a vehicle. Lets get the kids off their computers, facebooks, ipods and mobile phones (if only for a short time) and into some real decent clean healthy fun that can be enjoyed by the whole family!! I don't know if it will work but its worth a shot.

I have gone a little overboard and done a site: Hartley TS21 trailer sailer (http://mytrailersailer.com) which I hope will help to get people thinking about doing a home small boat build themselves. There is no commercial interests involved. I am not selling anything.

The TS21 we will be building is officially the TS21 MkIII. But this does not get us an "A" class certificate because of a few extra mm of increased waterline due to the slightly newer design of the bow. I am told it will be deemed a "B" class or "MOD" class.

Anyway, this presents an opportunity to fine tune other areas with the view of improving things that would not be possible when building to get an "A" class cert. Can I politely ask the highly experienced people here for some advice on the following two areas please ....

1. SWING KEEL (CENTREPLATE)
    Hartley says that about 250KG of ballast is needed to bring this little yacht down to her sailing lines and for stability. It (lead ballast) should be stowed below the floor between centreplate case and mast. I know this ballast as well as her hull shape contribute to her stability but I am wanting to put a large chunk of this ballast into the actual centreplate, to get it down under the boat where it could be of much more benefit.

Mostly all trailer sailers with swing and lift keels have lead at the bottom section of their keels. And so I am trying to work out a way to have a 16mm or 18mm thick steel plate exist with top half steel and bottom half lead. The centrecase and supports and pivoting bolt will be appropriately strengthened.

I am wondering if I can ask for any kind advice on this please.

2. FRACTIONAL VS MASTHEAD RIG
    Plans are either for a 3/4 fractional or masthead rig. The advantage of the masthead rig is the little extra staysail (cutter-like) that is proven to add about .5 knot of speed to these trailer sailers. A backstay is part of the masthead rig configuration but not on the fratonal rig.

Our boat will be used for a fair bit of fishing as well as snorkelling out on the reef so a backstay is going to be a pain. I want to go for a hybrid rig somewhere in the middle of 3/4 and masthead - by making it a 7/8 fractional rig and have the staysail but no backstay.

My question is what type of very simple stay/rig configuration would people recommend to ensure the mast is well secured. I don't want to put side stays too far aft as this would mean the main would not be able to be let out very far for downwind runs. And I would like to afix side stays to the cabin top rather than the side of the hull so we can walk freely around. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any comments people would care to make.

2. jumbuck

jumbuck Junior Member

An update ...

We are well into the construction now.

For those interested we are documenting the build here: http://mytrailersailer.com

I must say this is turning out to be one of the most enjoyable things I have ever been a party to.

Cheers for now

Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.