4 Stroke Cleaner Than 2, Really?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Jet_Love, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

Had a nice weekend at a small busy lake here in Arkansas,
    as I relax floating in the water I pondered the thought.
    The lake had a layer of oil that showed on each boat, as well as the water.
    Most all of the ccrafts out were 4 stroke so why so much oil?

I think its from oil leaky 4 stroke engines. Most all boats leak water and oil if 4 stroke, it has to go over board.

I dont really need a answer just wanted to put the thought out their. I do try to be a clean person but I can only do so much. Btw I'm a 2 stroke fan.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

2. miamitech

miamitech New Member

4 stroke or 2 stroke cleaner

4 stroke only cleaner because there is no oil added to the gas. if you can see the oil you should have reported the sheen, so they can find the culprit and fine him,

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

To instantly remove the oil film around your boat, throw a few drops of household detergent in the water. Within a few seconds the oil has disappeared all around your boat.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is in direct contradiction to all the peer and independent tests conducted.

5. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

Owning many of each, I've yet to have any of the 4 strokes (I own or have owned Yamahas and Hondas) leak oil. None.

The older 2-strokes, on the other hand, certainly leave some of the mixed oil behind in various ways, especially when the engine is tilted up while still in the water.

If there is a sheen that big then somebody has a serious problem with an engine..or has made a mistake and spilled. Inboard and I/O boaters inadvertently put oil overboard from pumping their bilges, not knowing there might be some oil in them.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Don't know about your lake, but it is not uncommon to see oily, calm patches on the sea that are in fact fish oil from pilchards and anchovies having been predated upon. Without calling in a bunch of investigators it is impossible to say what the oil was you saw, or where it came from. Could have been someone spilled their lunch of greasy chicken !

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I bashfully admit contribution to pollution because every drop of oil or diesel I spill in the engine bay finds its way to the bilge and is sooner or later excavated by the automatic bilge pump. The filler necks are in an awkward position where is is impossible to place the oil can above the opening, so the first oil always misses the target.
    But I always have detergent at hand when the pump starts while I'm present.

8. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

Your post is more along the lines of my thinking. Very few people keep their old 4 strokes or diesel engines tight and even fewer have oil socks they change on a regular basis.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

9. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

In contrast to the apparent lack of US anti-pollution monitoring of the environment, Turkey's marina management will issue an on the spot Euro1000k fine for using detergent to wash down a boat. Spill oil or paint on the jetty - Euro1000K fine
    Turk & Greek CG will arrest and charge the crew plus impound any boat 10m or 100m if seen with an oil sheen around it or close by.

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

This happens to be just as illegal as the original sheen. What the detergent does is cause the oil to sink to the bottom which kills all bottom dwelling life. I learned this when the Coast Guard Cutter I was on spilled bunker c fuel oil (nasty crude stuff) but only a few gallons and one of the crew started pouring detergent on it. The Captain nearly crucified him. (no it wasn't me)

What you really need are absorbent pads that absorb oils, but not water. And yes it should be reported so it can get cleaned up.

11. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Love those 1000 Euro fines, nothing to do with revenue raising, of course ! In the news today in my state, speeding fines to be imposed for tiny increments over the speed limit, ditching the leeway that previously applied, and of course all in the interests of road safety, and not some bean-counters idea of how to rake in more cash from the long-suffering public. Never mind that the new thresholds are in increments much smaller than the manufacturers accuracy tolerances for speedometers. Of course if you drive so slow as to be completely safe to not exceed the limit, you'll be booked for going too slow.

12. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

The oil wasn't as bad as it sounds from my original post. You had to catch the light and water just right to see the oil but it was their.

But really di 2 strokes cant be that far off from 4 strokes over the entire life of the engine.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

2 strokes put a lot more oil in the water than 4 strokes. This isn't a debate, but well documented and accepted understanding, regardless of which type you might favor. It's not even close. A tablespoon full of 4 stroke engine oil in the bilge, that gets pumped over the side or the 1/2 pint of oil that is driven into the water, for every tank of 2 stroke fuel used. Please, this isn't possibly a defensible position.

Peter is correct, dumping or pumping emulsifying oil, is just as illegal as direct dumping.

14. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

If the oil came from faulty lower unit seals or O-rings the power head makes no difference. Modern injected two strokes are as clean as four strokes.

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

I honestly didn't know it is illegal to put a few drops of detergent in the water. Does that include my wife who pulls the plug after she has done the dishes?

Can somebody explain to me how oil with a specific gravity of 0.85 can sink to the bottom after contact with a minute amount of detergent?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.