30hp yahama prob?????

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by racing fan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i got a older 1978-1985 (not sure on year) 30hp long shaft 2 stroke outboard motor i need to make it a short shaft i cant saw into it because the parts inside so it there the same model in a short shaft or a mid section with the same bolt and parts pattern or a mid with very similar parts like all the same but the water pump area so i could machine a plate like to make the parts fit and the water to pump?????

the plate #'s/serial # are (this is what the plate reads)

CV30ELP

689L

2. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

any one???????????????????????????

3. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

any one

4. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

That should work.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Look for a second hand 30HP short shaft with blown motor and swap bits.

Cutting ,sawing, machining? Naaa

Or jack it up on the transom to the required level.

6. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

well its a hydroplane and to jack it up 5 in
    looks bad adds weight and drag i may do some chopping

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

check the plate in the exhaust chamber is not corroded ..common problem ...you need to drill two holes in the lower part of the cowl to get at lower the bolts ..then put grommets in the holes .. good motor Frosty is right ..get a short shaft and do a swop and re sell the short shaft that is now longshaft .....unless you can aluminuim weld the funny cast aluminium and re engineer the drive shaft and gear change forget it

8. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

well i can weld aluminum i do it well all the time but i was thinking if i could fin a similar Yamaha mid section like a couple years different but the same or slightly more hp one like 30-38hp mid short shaft being a couple years different and the same hp the bolt patterns and stuff should be close right

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

But the shaft will have to be cut and welded, your gonna have to be good to get that straight. I guess 30 HP is not much.

You would be able to make a short short shaft running surface props.

If you must do it I would not bother making a plate, just cut the leg in half and re weld that if you think you can get it perfectly square, gear change and pump feed is easy ,--well in comparison.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Just get the right motor, short shaft motors in the smaller motors aren't scarce.

Shortening the motor... forget it. The engineering is going to cost you more and it tapers down the bottom so not sure how it's going to work out. Also how about when you need spares, and balancing the shafts :eek:

Somewhere there's an oke who wants a long shaft and he's got a short shaft.

11. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

Agree with Fanie. Have you already scouted the marinas within driving distance? Talk with the local mechanics and marina guys and you will be surprised how many old 2-stroke outboards they are storing for customers for too long (by the layer of dust on them) or have jam-packed into the back room to make room for the newer used outboards the sales people prefer to sell.

12. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

ok thanks i will look for one

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.