24 ft Proa Design

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Jacobra, Nov 21, 2020 at 6:35 PM.

1. Jacobra

Jacobra New Member

Hi all, I have been working on a pacific proa camp cruising design to recycle a hobie 16 rig. I don't have it completely modelled but it’s worked out far enough to get the idea.
    upload_2020-11-21_15-29-15.png
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The hull shape is based around seating ergonomics which give the main hull it’s flair, and a self bailing floor ~4 inches above the waterline. Below the waterline are semicircular hull sections with 18.5” waterline beam. Steering will be done through Newick style dagger rudders. The ama rotates up and over for trailering sorta like Richard Woods’ Strike trimarans. Auxiliary power will be an outboard mounted to one of the main beams.
    [​IMG]
    Designed displacement is 1,000 lbs and the self bailing floor goes awash at 1,850 lbs assuming the ama sinks evenly.

Construction is strip built and fiberglassed with plywood bulkheads and decks. Preliminary weight estimates show that if I’m lucky I can keep it around 500lbs.
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts on the design so far?

2. BlueBell

BlueBell Ahhhhh...

I think it looks great!

Why would you calculate it including the sealed ama?
    Remove the ama from self-bailing vs floor-awash calculation.

3. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

Are you using the dagger rudders for all of your lateral resistance? No daggerboard through the ama?

Manfred.pech likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.