24" dia x 36" long pontoon design help pls

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by luckyjr, Sep 23, 2012.

1. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

I get the message "bad idea" sideways. I am going to build a fishing boat and bond and connect the free Blues together the normal way 21' x 8.5" . Use my styrofoam process inside of the free Blues and build a powder coated frame and floor weighing less than 500lbs. 14 Blues 24" x 36". What would my useful load be empty? I will weld 3 pcs 6" wide light weight 21' channels on the bottom of the Blues forming a half of hex. Thanks for help and advise. 70 hp motor I hope. The boat cost should be around 3000 looking good.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

21' X 8.5" that's an awefully skinny pontoon there Jr.

You'll get about 400 pounds of usefull buoyancy out of two of those.

3. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

sorry, the boat is 21' x 8' 6". the toons are 21' x 24"dia. This is mainly for salt water flats. The floor I used on the boat I just finish. Structural heavy galvanized metal studs. Weigh a pound per foot. Come to length 21" 231lbs. Plastic covering over metal, $19.ea 4' x 8'.
    4 cooler chairs with backs and center console THANKS

4. Johnny1971

Johnny1971 New Member

Hello everyone... I am new and have not a clue about this so try to be easy on me lol. I am wanting to build a pontoon boat, 8 x 27' and use 30" CORRUGATED pipe for the pontoons. I know you have had that question ask and some are cool with it and some are not but I even thought about filling the pipe with liquid foam? Please give me your honest onion. would this float the boat?

5. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Johnny1971
    Curious if the corrugated tubes are all one piece, or you will be joining them to get the length necessary?
    Whether it floats your boat (that is the easy part) depends on how heavy the boat and total load is, and how many of the corrugated tubes are used. Yes, it floats if you can use as many tubes as needed and they are watertight or filled with foam.
    The more challenging questions which need to be answered on the construction are cost, structural integrity, durability, aesthetics, corrosion, efficiency, time and labor to construct, etc.

PC

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The corrugations are very resistant if the loads go in the longitudinal sense of thyem but very weak otherwise. Be careful how you use corrugations.

7. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I am really poor at reading minds but looking at the photo, the 'blue tubes' appear to run transversely across the stern. Should control the speed of the vessel quite nicely.... limiting speed to about 4 to 5 knots.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.