2 Stroke engine not used in 3 years

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Pete_M, May 7, 2008.

1. Pete_M

Pete_M Junior Member

I have a 2000 Yamaha 2hp 2 stroke outboard that has been siting in a garage for 3 years. The fuel/oil mix was not drained. Is getting this motor up and running a major ordeal? I'm a pretty handly engineer, but not a boat mechanic...can i remedy this myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pete M

2. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

I had the same issue with a motorcycle a few years back, the gas in the tank had been sitting for close to 7 years. Needless to say, it was closer to turpentine then gas. I dumped out as much as possible, then ran through a batch of gas with a bit of oil in it. In this case, I would clean out what you can, replace the spark plug, any filters and then run a little richer fuel through it and see how it plays out.

Hope this helps, as i am by no means a professional.

3. Pete_M

Pete_M Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. What exactly do you mean by "a little richer fuel"? Sorry, amateur here :)

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

You can't on a fuel injected engine, just drain out all the old fuel and let it run, it will be perfect (hey, it is a Yammie).

5. Pete_M

Pete_M Junior Member

So you don't recommend replacing the filters and spark plug right away? Should I mix a little richer fuel/oil and refuel after i drain the old fuel out? I'm assuming richer means more oil :)

6. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

First thing I'd do is try to start it, see where it goes from there. The carburetor will probably need a cleaning - but if you can get it started and running half-way decent, you can probably get away with just running some additives through the fuel tank.
    Anyway, it can't hurt to run some gas through it and pull on it a few times. Just remember to put it in a bucket or clamp ear-muffs on it to keep the impeller from burning up. It may just surprise you.

7. dragonjbynight

Its a two stroke right, 100-1 gas to oil ratio. I defer to Landlubber and tuantom, as it should be fine to dump the old gas and place in some new and let it go. As i meant by richer, a 100-5 gas to oil ratio, for a very small amount to lube up any rings that may have begun to dry out.(higer gas to oil ration is richer) For the exact measurement I would try Yamaha's website to find what they reccommend.

8. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Didn't see the other post - Is it fuel injected?

9. Pete_M

Pete_M Junior Member

I know i have to manually mix the oil and fuel...is that why you ask?

10. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Ahh... Oil injected - and you don't have that either. Had me scratching my head as to why a 2 horse would have fuel injection. It did seem excessive.
    I'd probably just mix it at 100:1 and call it good - maybe throw in an extra splash for good measure if you're worried about extra lube - 20:1 would be a bit smoky.

11. dragonjbynight

yeah, would leave a bit of a "slick" on the water, just meant run a quart or so of the higher mixture, then back to the 100-1. Me personally, I would change the plug and do a normal routine maintenance, but thats just me.

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

i had a similar situation.
    All i did was dump all the old fuel
    clean the spark plug
    new fuel at 50:1 mix
    run beautifully after 10 pulls because i had accidently flooded it

13. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Pre Lube

Before you refill the tank, pour a few drops, less than a teaspoon, of oil in the carb throat. With the throttle wide open, pull the starter cord a few time to circulate the oil. Now clean the plug, if it is oily, you know you have successfully circulated the oil. Fill it up and good luck.

14. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Well well well... it looks like we have a Thinker around here.

Seriously though; fast, simple, easy and effective - I like it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.