1960's Glastron beginning overhaul

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by dragonjbynight, Apr 13, 2008.

1. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

2. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

Smart, motorboat and overhaul are words that have trouble fitting in the same sentence. Nice job.

3. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

4. dragonjbynight

5. dragonjbynight

Off subject, but would like to make the open deck area wood planking, would this add too much weight? using 3/4" x 3" slats?

6. tuantom

tuantom Senior Member

First you should probably assess the condition of the wood in the boat - stringers, transom, floor, and maybe even under the front deck. If anything is soft, it should be replaced.
    However much time and money you're willing to put into it will dictate what should be done.

7. dragonjbynight

Thanks for the input, definitely willing to put in the time. Probably won't get a repaint this summer(a good clean and buff will have to suffice) but the interior will be my main goal. any idea's on building seating?
    http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/getrichie99/S7300949.jpg

8. dragonjbynight

9. dragonjbynight

I believe I have narrowed down the Model and year. according to the specs, the 1963 Surflite and Fireflite both were the only available models to come with a max 75 ohp motor. Narrowing it between those two might prove to be more irksome.

10. dragonjbynight

Interior placement

Trying to find flooring ideas while I am repairing the transom on this boat. I would like to go with a wooden slat 3/4 x 4 placed the length of the boat with crossmembers underneath running width wise. I have read into how to treat the wood and the most common seems to be treated with resin then poly'd or shellac'd. The side compartments will be made with fold down doors, hiding them yet still keeping the length for fishing poles. I am absolutely set against carpet or a sheet of ply. I am not too worried about speed as I just want to cruise around. Any suggestions? As far as seating going to place two stand seats in the front and a benchseat at the rear that will fold out forward giving access to the hooded compartment. This area I am not entirely sure what to do with, one section will be for the fuel tank, but I don't know what to do with the rest. Battery placement maybe? though, I have always read that you can't have the battery and the fuel in the same location.

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.