18-25 Sailboat build suggestions.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by itsnick, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Paul J. Nolan

Paul J. Nolan Junior Member

Well, based on your initial post, this is the boat I'd recommend:

http://www.cmdboats.com/bahamamama.htm

Though burdened with an exceedingly unfortunate name, the Bahama Mama is, if I recall correctly, built from plywood, seems to meet your requirements, and is a fairly simple, honest boat. Still, it has been a number of years since I saw this boat in the magazines and my memory may be wanting.

If you were asking me for advice, I'd ask you about your experience building boats and seeing complex, long-term projects through to completion. I'd also ask what you want out of the project...a boat at an inexpensive price, the satisfaction of building your own boat, or the ability to go sailing. If you never have built a boat before you might consider building one or two of Phil Bolger's designs to get an idea of what is involved. He has a couple of dinghies you could knock out in a couple of weekends and sell for the price of the materials, a wonderful dory you could build quickly and use in Florida waters while you're working on the main project. Then you might have a better idea how lengthy a project you'll want to take on.

If you forgo going offshore, Bolger's Black Skimmer design is perfect for cruising Florida waters and you could be on the water years sooner than in a bigger heavier boat.

If saving money is your goal, the fellow who recommended buying a used boat was giving you wise advice.

Paul

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.