17'wood hull project help!!

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 17'woody, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 17'woody

17'woody New Member

ok im new to boats, im a auto mechanic. my beloved grandpa just passed away and i inherited his first boat that i know nothing about... i am going to be fully restoring it and have no clue whats going on. i have researched many things but cant find anything on what im doing. ok so its a 60's 17 foot wood hull boat it has no motor/gear box.. it was a crysl.4 cylinder thats all i know. it was an inboard motor located in the center of the boat all thats left is the sheft with the prop its a four bolt flange and the steering is by a movable fin in back. so my questions are .. where and what motor can i put into it what gear box or transmissions can i use. where can i find a good motor and gear box combo and what would work in this type of boat? im not flush with cash but like i said im restoring it so i have time to save up so money. sorry to sound like an idot but we all started from somewhere right! thanks for any input i can post pics if needed. thank you

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pictures would be a great help. Also any other information, such as year, make, model, etc.

4. 17'woody

17'woody New Member

its a 60's looks kike it was a home build theres no name or model anywhere give me a sec to get the pictures.. i know nothing about this boat other then the motor blew up and they took it out and it sat under a trap for 30 years

5. 17'woody

17'woody New Member

ok so i have been doing alot of research and i believe im going to covert to out board using a transom bracket.. only problem is my wood transom going to hold the wieght of a outboard? are do i need to reinforce?

6. 17'woody

17'woody New Member