16ft,4.8m Catamaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Deppari Yachts, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

If you want to make an "invisible" boat you could build a plywood one (my recommendation) and then cover it with mirror finish sticky backed plastic. I've seen a boat done like that and the water reflects off the hull and basically you cannot see it

I wouldn't build a boat in a material that no one else has ever tried, and so I certainly wouldn't suggest it to anyone building their first boat

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

WHY???

I am just wondering how old the OP might be, 14 to 18, 18 to 22 or 22 to 26?

It just sounds like such a youthful idea and with such conviction, insisting on using such unconventional materials.

A clear boat, maybe a roto-molded hull could be spun out of mylar of something or mold the materials in sections and bolt together. The expense of this boat I bet will be many times more than just using a Hobbie.

I saw a clear guitar, it really was cool for a few seconds as it was unusal to see, but then the bridgeing was notm the pick up and wiring and other parts were all in the open to see and was just strange. Same with a computer in a clear case. If your framing is not a work of art it might not be too attractive in reality.

Use chrome spray paint or vynal sheets to cover the hulls as Richard said, a reflection will appear invisible. At least another boat bearing down on you might see themselves in time to take evasive measures. I don't think any water patrol officer in my area would hold me responsible for running over you...designing something that can't be easily seen by others, he might give you a ticket as a water hazard.

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

he's 13 according to his first post

Richard Woods

4. Deppari Yachts

Deppari Yachts Junior Member

Im 13 as Richard said

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.