14' Arkansas Traveler Resto-Redo

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Piomarine, May 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM.

?

Will this work

1. Yes, sounds like fun!!!

100.0%
  2. A lot of work but the best of best worlds!

100.0%
  3. Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat (HA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sounds like a colossal pain...scrap it and get a real boat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Piomarine

Piomarine New Member

I acquired 6 years ago and immediately went to work putting her back together. A little back story, this boat was purchased NEW by my wife's great grandfather in 1956, and I named it after his daughter (my wife's grandmother) who gave me the boat.

IMG953616.jpg

It has been 4 years since I completed this mod and all I can say is...I screwed up...HARD!!!

Here are some of my more egregious mistakes:
    Builders grade materials
    Being more concerned with getting it done than doing it right
    Not sealing the wood
    Improperly preparing the surface for paint
    Using the wrong paint
    And finally, not utilizing proper storage

this time last year, the boat had deteriorated into a stinking, molding heap. Everything had to go! So here I am today bowing at your mercy and saying "Please forgive my ignorance and carelessness!" [​IMG][​IMG]

But...that means I have a blank canvas from which to start again!

IMG_3184.JPG

So hear goes with the plan:

My hull is a 14’ Utility by Arkansas Traveler, but I don’t want a utility anymore. I originally built it as a fishing rig, but never used it and really I just wanted a runabout. So that’s what I’m making. I am enclosing the hull with a top deck and front and rear cockpit soles. It will be a 2 layer deck with 1/4” ply over framing and cedar strip planks over that. I chose cedar because it is lightweight, easy to work with, cheap, and quite lovely when finished.

Arkansas Traveler made a utility and a runabout both 14’ and the hulls were basically identical with some slight differences. So I will be building those differences. Put backs on the benches, upgraded transom, etc. I have an 1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp to power it (yet to see if the powerhead is still good, it’s locked up). The hull is quite stable. I’m a big boy and 6’ tall and with 2 big dudes standing in it it never felt unstable so I am not worried about the extra weight from the deck/ windshield.

I know wood on aluminum is not a common mod but I want to try it. The way I see it, there is a 100% chance it will work or it won’t. Input is welcome, in fact, I will require your input to make this successful.

Game on!

bajansailor likes this.
  2. Piomarine

Piomarine New Member

Took some aircraft stripper and a power washer to the hull. Got half of it stripped down before I ran out. It did not get everything off though so next step will be to strip the remaining half and hit it with a copper wire wheel. Whatever remains after that I am going to say is well bonded to the hull and I will simply prep and paint over it!

I am also starting to look at paints. I am tentatively looking at Kem 4000 primer followed by Sherwin Williams “Protective and Marine Coating” as a top coat. I talked to a guy tonight who swears by epoxy enamel paints for ease of application, longevity, and shear durability. Anyone have thoughts on these paint options? Or know how much they cost? I can’t find a price online.

5BAF1386-5030-4812-AC8B-F0C2B08D6403.jpeg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.