120 HP slow - medium speed diesel?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by cthippo, Oct 20, 2010.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

West do waste your time. Some highly skilled professional abandoned after trying to make that crap work for more than ten years.
    You find extinct web site about them, because people lost their patience.
    Some are working after been rebuilt for thousand of dollars.
    it is a very well known piece of junk. In other word don't touch it.
    Daniel

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Look also at the TE series of Yanmar, they were good engines, and plenty still available for recon jobs.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

If you are still talking about your 34ft boat, the Deere 4045 is already way overkill. And for what should it be good to install all these horses?
    On another occasion you are saying you plan on a budget. Now you want to install a engine which either requires a CPP to survive your abuse, or has to be replaced in every other port.

For what?
    The Deere would push your boat against the sails if need be, so, which windage are we talking?

Regards
    Richard

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

What HP range would you recommend then? Most of the other boats I've sen in the 30-34' range have spec'ed 60-80 hp engines, but again I was going off what the plan called for.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Let us have some detailed data to give a serious answer on that. Guessing does not bring you any further.

It is a full displacement boat yes?

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I never recommended it to hippo,just giving him an idea of the crippling weight.

I don't have it to put into a boat,I bought it to re-sell and haven't gotten around to selling it.

And BTW, I know of a Lister copy in a commuter boat,been doing just fine 300 hours a year since 1989 or 1990.

7. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Full displacement, design displacement of 21,000 lbs according to the study plans.

I noticed Tad's 39' Passagemaker Light with a design displacement of 19,600 lbs calls for 135 HP.

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Tad´s boat is a "Passagemaker" aka Motoryacht! Not a motorsailor

And it does not need these horses (its a Deere 4050 when I recall right), but the market wants that power.

By design, Tad´s boat goes over S/L 1,34 and economically runs at speeds your boat will never see.

Still a bit meager your data.

Regards
    Richard

Fred,

the Iveco is not a bad engine, but others do better at lower revvs. Deutz for example. 2800rpm is not what I call sensible in such boat.

10. liki

liki Senior Member

Volvo-Penta D5A-TA has ratings for 1900rpm and 2300rpm.

11. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

The design I'm working with is a pure motor vessel, no sails. It was developed by the NA and designer from a sailboat plan of his.

Unfortunately, all I have is what's in the study plans I got from the designer. These are his numbers, not mine. He specified a 107 hp for a 34' vessel with a displacement of 21,000 pounds. Any other numbers I could provide would be coming straight out of my rectal cavity.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

I must have misunderstood, (probably from the drawing in the other thread) tah we are talking a motorsailor.

For a Motoboat, as mentioned, you are in the common ballpark.

But more important than another 20 hp is the prop. You should consider a CPP for a single engine motorboat!

Regards
    Richard

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

OK, I can see how that happened. i posted pics of a couple of motor sailors from the same design family to make the point that the windage of the masts probably wasn't a big deal.

I'm sold on the CPP concept. Who makes a good one in this power range?

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Westmekan, Hundested, Sabb come up in my head. But I never installed one in such small boat, so I am not sure. And being on the water, I don´t have my database at hand.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.