10000 BHP Voith-Schneider tugs

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by wildocean, May 6, 2009.

1. wildocean

wildocean New Member

Hi,

I am trying to locate a working 10,000 BHP tug with Voith Schneider propellers. Thus far however, searching the web has not been very efficient! If anyone knows the names of particular ships or operating ports that I could then try to locate/contact, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Edited: "TanĀ“erliq" and "Nanuk" port Valdez, Prince William sound, both have about 10.000hp

Regards
    Richard

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

Try Tom Crowley (Crowley Maritime - San Fran, Seattle, Valdez, Cook Inlet, many other ports). Pretty cool boats, tho I pulled one backwards with a conventional 9 (9,000HP, counting winches, water pumps, toilets, and the cook's blender), he could have done a number on me if he had thought to pull sideways (saw one go straight sideways at seven knots once). Eggbeater tractors work... and they do sell!

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

He's right. I worked on the tanerliq (black bear) briefly. Nanook is of course "polar bear". No quicker way to part a line (or kill someone) than these things at the hands of a noob.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.