1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Ok, no images as all the stuff is those annoying fiddly bits but there should be more to show soon as a "cabinet maker" will be joining the team so expect to see some close-ups of shelves and flow-coat finish. Also on my agenda is refining requirements for electrical systems and seeking stuff that fits in with requirements and budget...

And of course, the way the big-business in America is causing fiscal & economic grief in the rest of the world... Jeeees America, clean out your own backyard and leave the rest of the world alone for a while.... Usanian efforts at fiscal/economic interference is bloody shitting me off...

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Very impressive Mas. Starting to look like a boat. In some pictures that is: in other it's starting to look like an apartment building.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Darn Ancient, I think you're right ! It IS a boat Mas is building !

My metal worker agent called me earlier today, the glass wet out machine is finally ready. If all goes well then I have a chance to get it 'some time', hopefully before the turn of the next century :(
    At the rate my boat is going the next part may be done before the next melenium.

How long do you have to go still to finish the boat Mas ?

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Ready for fit-out finishing touches around November, Launch before April 2010:D:D:D:D Jeeees Fanie, Things seem to happen still in saffa? I am still waiting for an engine delivery promised in early May as being 3 weeks away... (I fear it may be from another "May"?) - - - maybe... :D:D:D

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Eh Mas,
    Darn mail notification is up to nuggets again. I'm getting notifications from threads I haven't even visited never mind responded to :D

Our meeting has been postponed to next week. You have to be patient, it's like the sign at the loo that said 'gents, stand closer, it's shorter than you think' :D Yeah right.

I finally got my wet out machine delivered today. I will get the rest of the materials by the morrow and hopefully finish it this weekend. I can't wait to get cracking with it.

So where's the pictures :D

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Maybe something after Monday 27 Jul, as it is shelving and stairs and all that fiddly stuff that takes time to complete... Engine should be delivered to the people fitting the Delco generators then I should have 6000 watts at 62.8 volts at the batteries, to charge the 16 x Optima blue D34M, unless I can find a better option? - also seeking quotes for 2000 watts of PV panels wired to also charge the same battery bank or dump energy to the hot water system or RO watermaker or freezers...

Fanie, could you design a little thermal switch that I could use, with about 1.5m or "copper/constantine?" cable to hang inside the door of a front door freezer, with a couple of thumb wheels to adjust/set the turn on and turn off temperatures and also display digitally the temp in deg C... A power cord in (from the power point) and a power cord out (to plug connect to the power lead of the freezer)? - - Thence to reset the temperature range as a refrigerator... I have seen one and the efficiency is well worth while - particularly on a boat... Hopefully about the size of a cigarette 20's packet that could sit on top of the freezer/fridge... Might be a business opportunity for you? Globally whilst cruising and not fishing...

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Some of the work taken this morning, before I went up the coast to visit Mum, and see that she was doing well... - - One set of stairs to stbd hull, - wet area and laundry stbd hull, - stbd aft berth from hull - and also bridge-deck, here you will notice that the bulkhead, (19mm balsa endgrain with 1000gsm of cloth each side), is canted forward so the built-in chain-plate is aligned to the top of the mast... The last shows the temperature controller on Bryans freezer - brings the temperature to about 4deg Celsius (instead of below zero in a normal freezer), - to make an excellent and very efficient and cost effective fridge out of a domestic freezer...

Attached Files:

8. JeroenW

JeroenW Junior Member

Nice progress, those stairs on the first picture. Is every step the same height? In the picture it is as if those on to the top are lower in height than the lower ones.

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Lookin' good, Mas :)

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a cheap way of doing that thermostat for the freezer..... a thermocouple, a reference voltage, a comparator (and a means to keep it from switching back and forth really quickly when you get to the target temp.), and a 120 V relay, that's pretty much all there is to such a device.

I'm sure Mas knows this already, but in case anyone else is thinking of using a 120/240 V home freezer, you do need to make sure that the AC neutral and ground are not tied together inside the appliance (as they occasionally are for land-based appliances). Very unfortunate consequences may result, especially if you get stuck at the one dock with the reverse-polarity shorepower....

You're probably getting a bit sick of Duflex dust by now, Mas. How're you planning to finish off the interior when the glasswork is done- is it going to be white paint everywhere, or wood trim, or are you going to go all acid-trip-hippie on us and do it in flower power rainbows?

10. masalai

masalai masalai

I am waiting for an email on some "proper looking flooring" as a veneer on ply, so the main bridgedeck floor will look pucker, ply panels on the face of the shelving will either be flow-coated or clear varnish - starting to get a bit anal about keeping weight down...

All exterior will be in "off white" - has a bit of yellow (not the original colour) 2part international marine stuff (bought of the rep yesterday)... The stairs are an optical illusion and were a bit difficult to configure, but work OK - - I hope:D:D:D

The magic box for the freezer/fridge is sorted, else Fanie will invent if he is in the mood? I do not have shore power services, as I aim to be totally independent - solar panels 2000w48v and 400w12v as well as 6000w 48v diesel (coconut oil) engined battery charger...

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Those steps were formed just righ. Keep in mind that after a couple your feet doesn't want to make equal size steps :rolleyes:

Mas my man, you have to be patient. Our meeting has been postponed for a week. You will however not be disappointed ;) I will inform you after this Friday how the anchor hangs.

As for the temp control, that is really easy. All you need is a DS18B20 (you can google it), interface with a micro and you have a digital controller. Slap an LCD display on it and you have a state of the art digital temperature controller that can measure temperature, supply voltage, give user alarms, and if you add a keypad and implement an item numbering system warn you when an item nears it's expiry date. Keep the boat fresh.

If you're serious about the temperature thing I can put you in contact with someone in .au who is very capable who can probably help you with that, unless you insist that I must do it of course.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

At what price? for 2 of them - each plastic jiffy box - - with one little screwdriver accessed trimpot for "on" upper (warmer) temp and another for shut-off lower temp and a digital readout for temp in a small "jiffy-box" with (copper/constan? because it is slim and accurate and linea and shrink wrap over the twisted ends as the thermocouple), cable temp sensor and 240v cable in from power-point and one out socket to "freezer/fridge" power plug. - I can fit the plugs but fine soldering is not my go now... Thanks... PM or email me if you like...

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Mas, I don't know what he is going to charge for it. I'll ask him if you are too shy :D

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Either you or who? I know the technology is easy as, - I used something similar in data logging when I was working for CSIRO long - long ago.... to give me 0.25dec Celsius record of temperature at various depths in the soil...

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I asked him if he wants to. If he won't then I will. Should be sufficient to fund my own boat :D

Soil ? I thought it was for fridge. Are you into earth worms or boating :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.