longfellow
Junior Member
- Joined
- Apr 11, 2009
- Posts
- 39
- Reaction score
- 1
- Location
- upstate NY
I have about finished some pretty extensive testing of this adhesive, as it compares to Resourcinol, and PL brand polyurethane adhesive (in calking tubes). From a variety of immersion tests and breaking strength tests, and using white oak and yellow pine as test species, I am able to see a slight advantage in the purple stuff, but only in the immersion category, and even here the advantage is slight (To help qualify what this means, once sample assemblies were soaked for two months and then broken apart the resourcinol broke with more wood fibers pulled out from the adjacent piece. The Titebond III also pulled original wood, just not quite as much of it.) I also have results from both lightly clamped (10 lbs force) assemblies and heavily clamped (traditionally the advice of resourcinol advocates) assemblies and at a variety of grain orientations relative to the mating piece. It seems best to use a fair amount of force with both materials, but Titebond may be a bit more flexible.
The entire test plan is quite extensive and I've no plan to clean up the data for publication. You shouldn't trust implicitly what anyone else says anyway if you have pride in your work. This is just to let the community know that you might want to revisit (if you aren't already using Titebond III) the adhesive yourself for possible applications. I am impressed. I am not saying anything about the PL stuff. It has its uses and I even make good use of it myself quite a bit: I'm just not going to put it in any boat that I build.
cheers.
OK. Time to get back to the lofting, though my knees could use the rest of the day off.
Ed
The entire test plan is quite extensive and I've no plan to clean up the data for publication. You shouldn't trust implicitly what anyone else says anyway if you have pride in your work. This is just to let the community know that you might want to revisit (if you aren't already using Titebond III) the adhesive yourself for possible applications. I am impressed. I am not saying anything about the PL stuff. It has its uses and I even make good use of it myself quite a bit: I'm just not going to put it in any boat that I build.
cheers.
OK. Time to get back to the lofting, though my knees could use the rest of the day off.
Ed