cameron.d.mm
Junior Member
- Joined
- Mar 14, 2009
- Posts
- 68
- Reaction score
- 1
- Location
- Ontario, Canada
Hello,
I'm new around here - having just bumped into the forum this evening - but want to share something. I have a little project going that might be appreciated around here - or, quite possibly, picked to pieces!. (Not that that would be a bad thing, necessarily.)
The story so far: starting out from complete scratch, I've started building myself a very small wooden boat. Really, there is nothing in my past to indicate I'm capable of doing such a thing, but, being a little bull-headed when it comes to looking things up like a responsible person would, I've just plowed ahead at pretty much full steam. So far it seems to be going acceptably well... But I guess I won't really know until I drop the thing in the water!
Below I've included some pictures of my progress, as well as my 'plans', which are really just a quick sketch. I've actually got the entire haul planked over the frame (such as it is) and am now ready to do some finishing. Once the weather warms up around here, I'll drag it out the basement window and sand it/plane it outside. Then I can add seats and the other important bits still to do.
I plan to make matching oars for the boat, and possibly add an electric trawling motor, which should propel it at a good clip.
In terms of actual construction, I've used Spanish Cedar (Cedrela odorata) and African Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis). I'll probably use some white ash as well, as I can get it locally in long lengths and for a good price. Everything is glued, while the structural joints are also screwed with brass fasteners.
Anyway, I guess I've written a good bit, so I must be eager to share. But I'll can it now as we all know why you're here: for the pictures!
Thanks for taking the time to browse.
Some more pictures can be found here: http://www.camerondmm.com/studio.html
I'd love to hear if anyone has comments or questions, and I'll try to keep this thread up to date with any developments, but the weather is still a few weeks away from cooperating with me.
I'm new around here - having just bumped into the forum this evening - but want to share something. I have a little project going that might be appreciated around here - or, quite possibly, picked to pieces!. (Not that that would be a bad thing, necessarily.)
The story so far: starting out from complete scratch, I've started building myself a very small wooden boat. Really, there is nothing in my past to indicate I'm capable of doing such a thing, but, being a little bull-headed when it comes to looking things up like a responsible person would, I've just plowed ahead at pretty much full steam. So far it seems to be going acceptably well... But I guess I won't really know until I drop the thing in the water!
Below I've included some pictures of my progress, as well as my 'plans', which are really just a quick sketch. I've actually got the entire haul planked over the frame (such as it is) and am now ready to do some finishing. Once the weather warms up around here, I'll drag it out the basement window and sand it/plane it outside. Then I can add seats and the other important bits still to do.
I plan to make matching oars for the boat, and possibly add an electric trawling motor, which should propel it at a good clip.
In terms of actual construction, I've used Spanish Cedar (Cedrela odorata) and African Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis). I'll probably use some white ash as well, as I can get it locally in long lengths and for a good price. Everything is glued, while the structural joints are also screwed with brass fasteners.
Anyway, I guess I've written a good bit, so I must be eager to share. But I'll can it now as we all know why you're here: for the pictures!
Thanks for taking the time to browse.
Some more pictures can be found here: http://www.camerondmm.com/studio.html
I'd love to hear if anyone has comments or questions, and I'll try to keep this thread up to date with any developments, but the weather is still a few weeks away from cooperating with me.
