Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15mph) Peak

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I want to thank Jeff for creating a speed sailing thread out of the former Hydroptere thread. This new thread will be about Hydroptere- if you have speed sailing comments please post them in the "Fastest Sailboat on the Planet" thread( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/fastest-sailboat-planet-15612-54.html ).
    Team Hydroptere is getting prepared to go after serious ocean records so this will be exciting to watch.
    ---------

The new Hydroptere website: http://www.hydroptere.com/

---------

Points of note:
    --Hydroptere IS the fastest sailboat on the planet-currently holding the record of 51.17 knots over a nautical mile.
    --Hydroptere is the largest sailboat ever to go over 50 knots.
    --Hydroptere carried at least 10 crew setting her records-more than any other speed record setting craft.
    --Hydroptere is the only sailboat to have gone over 50 knots with an onboard head.
    --Hydroptere is the only speed record setting sailboat to go over 50 knots
    without a wing rig.
    --Hydroptere is the only speed record setting sailboat to use a movable water ballast system.
    --Hydroptere is the only speed record setting sailboat to have an auxiliary engine(like many other ocean racers).

Go Hydroptere!

click on image:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere Maxi render

Here is the first render of the big boat I remember seeing. This will be 100' or so and is what Hydroptere.ch ( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/lhydroptere-ch-35033.html ) is the prototype for:

-- Twin rudders with T-foils
    -- Variable geometry stepped planing hulls
    -- Retractable main hydrofoils

(click on image)

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15 mph) Peak-/ History

From the "Le Reve" section of the web site-I've never heard of Farcot-very interesting:

From December 3, 1869, a Parisian inventor called Emmanuel Denis Farcot filed a patent for a boat supposed to go faster because of the reduced resistance in the water.
    The idea of ​​hydrofoil is born at that time, Emmanuel Denis Farcot opted for the installation of many small hydrofoil along the hull to lift and thus reduce drag.

The Wright Brothers , pioneers of American aviation, have developed the first airplanes. In 1907, they also accomplished the feat to take off from a catamaran with foils.
    Further attempts will succeed.
    Italian, English, Americans are engaged in this race sailboat steering wheel.

In 1918-1919, Alexander Graham Bell, the Canadian inventor of the telephone, FW Baldwin and his colleague were carrying out original research on motor hydrofoils, called hydrodromes - HD or hydrofoil boats.
    In 1919, the prototype HD-4 sets a speed record at 70.86 mph (114.04 km / hour) he held for over ten years.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-61 knots(70.15 mph) Peak

This is an update from the site-do you notice anything strange about it??

It is with great emotion and pleasure Alain Thebault, surrounded by Jeremy Lagarrigue, Mike The Personnic, Billy Besson Pascal Blouin, resumed on Wednesday 6 April, the 60-foot bar, which leads step by step towards new horizons.

Smooth transition with 10 knots of wind and a beautiful spring sunshine, the white bird found in South West swell the waters of Brittany. For their first flight of the year, Alain Thebault and his team have mixed technical control and navigation systems out of fashion! : His guests, a German team for a double story in Die Welt and the fashion magazine Icon.

Two round trip between the island and Groix Cité de la Voile Eric Tabarly became home port of the fastest yacht in the world under the sign of Franco-German agreement. Landenshaft und gevonen technology.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Here are some pictures from the "Foilers!" website showing Hydroptere with her foils retracted:

Foilers! : http://foils.wordpress.com/

click on image--

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I hate to say this but the new hydroptere website is a mess in terms of being able to get a coherent english translation. When I click on their english icon the page disappears. When I try google translate it is mostly nonsense. So far no contact info to write to. Its a damn shame....

UPDATE- found a way to contact them(I hope) and sent an e-mail.....

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere-Fastest Sailboat on the Planet!-Isle of Wight Attempt

from Scuttlebutt Europe today:

Record Attempt Around The Isle Of Wight

The trimaran l'Hydroptere is heading to England and is getting prepared to beat the record around the Isle of Wight. This record is held since November 2001 by Steve Fosset's catamaran Playstation. The first attempt will take place on Sunday June 5 (*Editor: no note on the website about Sunday, presumably on hold...) and they will be prolonged until June 14, 2011.

Last year l'Hydroptere missed the record by a few minutes. In fact at mid-term of the race, she was 40 minutes ahead of Playstation, but due to a fall in the wind, l'Hydroptere finished 8 minutes after Playstation's record.

This year, with the full support of the House of Champagne Lanson, the official partner of this record, the Hydroptere team is attempting this challenge again, more motivated than ever and determined to sign a triple wake of bubbles and spray.

l'Hydroptere's technological adventure has been possible principally thanks to the unconditional support of Thierry Lombard since 2005, Managing Partner of the private banking house Lombard Odier Darier Hentsch & Cie, whose founding year - 1796** - appears on the mainsail.

http://www.thedailysail.com/inshore/11/58849/0/lhydropterechs-first-records

**Interesting- 1796 appears on Hydroptere's sails and 1798 appears on Hydroptere.ch's sails.....
    www.hydroptere.com

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere:fastest sailboat on the planet!

Great picture of the boat on the way to the UK from the front page on SA:

click on image:

Attached Files:

9. bad dog

bad dog bad dog

I - I - I was trying to get a word in edgeways, but now I've forgotten what I was going to say.

...this must be record number of consecutive posts, even for you Doug! ;-)

Thanks for the info, some good leads there.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere: fastest sailboat on the planet!

===============
    Thanks for the response ,BD. But this thread isn't the record-there are others....
    My intention is to just keep adding info so that you and I and anyone else that wants a quick reference on whats happening with Hydroptere will know exactly where to look.....

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

From the Hydroptere site-translated by them:

Record Attempt

Although conditions were still not favourable to the record, the Hydroptère team decided to make a record attempt in a strong south wind. The sea was flat to start off Cowes where l'Hydroptère took off, close hauled, at twenty knots towards the Needles. Once the Needles exceeded, the sea became very turbulent and the wind rose to thirty knots. In a chaotic sea, after tacking, the crew decided to take a second reef as the wind still rose with gusts at thirty five knots (wind force seven to eight). With a reduced sail area, the second beating leg to Saint Catherine took place in a rough sea with waves of about two meters. Both reaching legs were going to be really hard! In fact, l’Hydroptère had to come close to the south cliffs in a backwash that generated short and high waves. With this backwash, it was impossible to sail at high speed and it forced the crew to reduce speed in this dangerous area. Several stops were violent among which one, where the sailing boat dug in until the mast foot, getting from 40 knots to 0 knot. One crewman was injured at the shoulder, Michael Le Personnel, during one of these violent stops. The three English guys on board, Paul Larsen, James Bird and Fraser Brown, seemed impressed. Paul Larsen said: “I will remember this sailing session! Is l’Hydroptère always so fast in such sea conditions?” and Fraser, after a few hours:"well I must say the sailing yesterday was quite different to what you normally do, amazing to see l’Hydroptere in that sort of Sea State we were very impressed with how strong the boat is and how it performed. It's hard to imagine what a boat like that does in sea state but now I have a much better idea, yourself and Alain obviously know the boat very well to have the confidence to send it that hard at 90 true in 30kn of wind in that sort of sea condition, impressive." During this rough test run with waves attaining 2.50 m, the crew decided to reduce speed and wisely renounced this attempt. It was better to wait for a north wind that would not generate such sea conditions.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Excellent info here on Hydroptere-best if you can read French-googlelating it is fair-a bit hard to read:
    scroll about 1/3rd the way down. Info about their UFO detection system...
    http://foils.wordpress.com/

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Hydroptere

I'm still amazed that since the Hydroptere Team changed websites they haven't fixed the english translation which used to be excellent. It simply doesn't work on the new site as best I can tell and makes for a bad experience if you don't speak French. Too bad. I just sent an e-mail---again.

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There is nothing wrong with the English section of their site.

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

======================
    What doesn't work is the first page that comes up with the latest info from 11/11-at least not for me.(see last sentence)

You can click on the news feed but older out of date news comes up with todays date.
    This is the French news that comes up when you first click on the site:

Le « roi Jean » rejoindra les « fous volants »

>> 31 octobre 2011

Un équipier de légende rejoindra le team Hydroptère pour la Transpac

Les yeux tournés vers le Pacifique

>> 28 octobre 2011

l'Hydroptère est de retour sur la terre ferme, son chantier d'hiver va bientôt démarrer.

Une petite saveur de rodéo

>> 24 octobre 2011

Récit de la navigation qui s'est déroulée pour la gagnante du concours Hydroptère sur Facebook.

l’Hydroptère.ch à plus de 30 nœuds

>> 21 Octobre 2011

Troisième et nouveau record pour l’Hydroptère.ch : l’équipe d’Alain Thébault a franchi la barre mythique et jamais dépassée sur le lac Léman des 30 nœuds sur un kilomètre.

==========
    When you click on the English icon this news disapperars and a little box saying "Headlines" comes up. If you click on the little feed icon old news comes up.
    Much odfthe generic content of the site does come up in English-just not the most recent headlines.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.