Keelson to stem/cut water connection

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by bobbrown, Dec 11, 2021.

1. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Constructing a ply on frame skiff. Stem is SYP. Keelson attaches to the base of the stem…so in essence the stem sits on the Keelson. Plans indicate the ply is attached to both and come to a point to form the bow. I have a problem with the bow of the skiff being 1/4’ ply…seems a problem area for denting during rough landings. So, I’m thinking it wise to attach a hardwood cut water to the SYP which has the attached ply.
    The question…would you extend the Keelson that is attached to the base of the stem to also attach to the base of the cut water. Or, stop the Keelson at the SYP and have the cut water fair into the attached SYL/Keelson. Probably wise to fiberglass the whole kit and kaboodle.
    Thanks for the input

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Never had a problem landing any skiff made of 1/4 plywood. Always reinforced the centerline with extra glass tape. Watch for rocks.

3. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Got that…concerned with pointy bow hitting dock etc. due to raging tides or poor boatmanship

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

If you are really worried about hitting that hard, you really should have a knee for the stem and keelson.
    Otherwise this is betwixt and between. Realistically, the cutwater should never be too sharp as it will be damaged easily. As Hoyte says, most people just round it over (1/2" or so) and glass it over. Or you could flat it to take a stainless or bronze rubbing strip ala Chris Crafts. Finally you could make it like a workboat where the stem face is exposed and a false stem is fitted to cover the hood ends of the ply. In this case, the false stem extends below the keelson and covers the front of the grounding shoe.

5. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Just the info I wanted…thanks to all who answered

6. bobbrown

bobbrown Junior Member

Interesting enough I found a you tube video that addresses the issue of stem bands. Building the Bouchie dory …. Part 21.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.