Zodiac dingy transom to hull join, what could go wrong?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by LennyLongbeard, Feb 12, 2022.

1. LennyLongbeard

LennyLongbeard New Member

Hey Guys

I have a little Zodiac inflatable tender, with a fiberglass hull. The transom to hull join is a flexible one, comprised of a strip of pvc on the inside that is always coming unglued, and a strip on the outside that is forever wearing through because it gets dragged over sand, shells and gravel. The result is that I'm always sitting in ankle deep water, and I'm a bit over it.

I was thinking about glassing the plywood transom to the fibreglass hull, so that the join is rigid, watertight and hopefully a more durable solution. Are there any downsides to this, that I havnt thought of?

The only negative I can think of, is that I won't be able to fold the transom down against the hull, when it's deflated to make it slightly easier to transport.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Can you add an aluminum or stainless angle to the outside as chafe gear? That would still allow you to fold the boat.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The glue is important for pvc
    to glass. The stuff I am using is Black Mamba FHG. The pvc has to be roughened up. Pretty impressive glue for disimiliars.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.