Zinc spray?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by parkland, Mar 1, 2014.

1. thill

thill Junior Member

For what it's worth, I've been using these sprays for many years. The older products worked, but were TERRIBLE for allowing water penetration and eventually, rust or delamination. To combat this, I would often topcoat with paint, making the galv. spray essentially a rich primer, and it worked well applied that way.

But about 2 years ago, I bought a can, and when I sprayed it, I thought the can was mis-labeled with silver paint. This stuff had a NICE, sealed finish. I put it aside, thinking I would take it back to complain.

Well, surprise, surprise- they FINALLY changed the formula for the better! This new stuff is tough! I use it on rusted trailers, and I am impressed at the results.

And listen to this...
    A few months back, I had to bend a part that I had spray galvanized a few weeks earlier. The steel was strong, so I used a MAP-gas torch to get it glowing-hot before I could bend it.... BUT THE GALVANIZED COATING WAS NOT AFFECTED!!! (except very small parts of the actual bend where a little chipped off) I couldn't believe my eyes!!! I would have thought that it would have burned off, or maybe cracked off like it was being fried, but if anything, the heat made it stick harder!

This is some tough stuff! Even engine pant can't take MAP gas applied directly. Needless to say, After this, I am even more impressed with this stuff that I had been before. I now use it with a lot more confidence that before. Worth every penny, and if you do even a little prep, it sticks tenaciously.

With the old stuff, I would have never even considered it for a prop, no matter how much wax you applied. Now... I suspect that it may work just as described.

-TH

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Would a regular "bronze" prop be damaged by this "cold galvanizing"?

3. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Wow guys thanks for all the sharing of experiences.
    It is indeed nice to hear of real worlkd performance of the stuff.

I might even buy a case, and treat the underside of my truck with it.

4. thill

thill Junior Member

Easy Rider, I'm not sure how bronze and zinc get along. Which one is more "noble?"

Parkland, I'd say you should go to Home Depot and buy a couple of cans of the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Spray (the exact brand I've been using for the last couple of years) and test it out before using a lot of it.

You probably want to use degreaser before applying in an automotive application. And I believe it DOES conduct electricity, so you may want to be careful where you spray it. That could cause real problems, if some wicked into an electrical connection and grounded it!

In my case, I just hit rusted areas with a wire brush, no primer or naval jelly or any other preparation, and spray it on, then hit it with a second coat after awhile, to make sure it's nice and thick. I think thickness adds to the effectiveness. A day or two in the sun, and that stuff gets nice and hard and durable.

But this is on rusty boat trailers and a few steel marine linkage parts, not on cars, so that is one you will have to report back on. The anchor usage posted below is pretty impressive, too.

-TH

1 person likes this.

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I think car's body panels are zinc coated either electrolsys or spray coating, so I can't imagine any issues, unless if you got it into an electrical connector that could be terrible.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.