repowering problem: prop shaft angle >15 degrees

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by rdunncpa, Jul 25, 2007.

1. rdunncpa

rdunncpa New Member

I am repowering a 1978 Endeavour 32 sailboat, replacing a Yanmar 2 cyl. The new Yanmar 30 calls for no more than a 8 -10 degree static angle, but my mechanic advises my prop shaft is in excess of 15 and probably 18 degrees.

He advises the need for a "down transmission" and has identified a Volvo 30. Since then, I've identified the Beta (Kubota) that meets this requirement.

Issues: 1. reliability
    2. servicing (availability of parts and qualified mechanics)
    3. resale value

I am a coastal south florida cruiser with aspirations for the Bahamas and the East coast of the US.

I love the Endeavour 32 and hope to sail her until I can afford a larger sailboat in 5 - 10 years.

PS I have little to no mechanical ability. I am a tax geek.

Thank you.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You mean the mechanic has suggested a down angle gearbox to help the motor to be fitted at a more reaslistic 10,----Ok

Any chance of reducing that 18 degrees --thats a lot and will rob a lot off your already small engine.

If thats not possible and you have to do it this way,-- you are concerned about the down angle gearbox?

Its nothing special it just the output shaft is angled down usually 8 degrees.

Slightly more thought should be given to the mounting of the engine as you are now in effect not pushing in a straight line through gearbox into the engine. The shaft will have a slight tendancy to push the back of the engine up. Im sure you mechanic will be aware of this???

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Rdunncpa, you might want to check out Nanni deisel as well, also kubota based? & in the size range may also have down angle gbox as option, standard states upto 15 degrees & are more compact in the oilsump pump take off for more clearance under engine, also at least in Aus come with more features as standard like tacho to dash panel compared to Beta. Fitting of a thrust bearing to "push" the boat & a CV joint setup could also solve the issue but for probably greater expense & greater space requirment.Regards from Jeff.

4. fpmurphy

fpmurphy New Member

BetaMarine engines are based on Kubota engines. Spares are readily available for these engines. BetaMarine has lots of dealers in Florida and up and down the East Coast.

Call Stanley at BetaMarine (252) 249-2473 and he will take you through the whole process of repowering an Endeavour. He is one of the most experienced sailboat repower experts I have met.

As far as resale value goes, BetaMarine engines are well respected by the cruising community for their relaibility and ease of maintenance.

5. chandler

chandler Senior Member

How do they compare with Yanmar??

6. fpmurphy

fpmurphy New Member

Price-wise base BetaMarine engines (called the Classic range) compare favourably with base Yanmar engiines in the smaller range (< 80 HP)

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Price-wise base BetaiMarine engines (called the Classic range) compare favourably with base Yanmar engiines in the smaller range (< 80 HP)

And since the Kubota are lawn equipment bases there are 10X to 100X as many dealers. The Kubota parts are far more available , and WAY WAY!! cheaper than Yanmar.

Call both dealers and get a list price if "cruising spares"
    Injector pipe set , injectors , fuel lift pump, water pump,head gasket

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.