Help Needed with console/house.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kmac1701, Jun 29, 2017.

1. kmac1701

kmac1701 New Member

Hi there,

Im new to the forum and not quite sure this is the right place to post this thread, so I'll begin by saying sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I have an 18 1/2' Novi center console, and I love it, however, wind and water bombard me, and so I am attempting to design and build a heavily simplistic "house" (essentially just a windshield with a material surrounding to support) preferably out of wood and plexiglass, so that I can put it together myself.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Can you use the existing centre console as the basis ? Lots easier if you can. The trouble with wet boats is you might keep drier behind a screen, but find vision impaired.

3. kmac1701

kmac1701 New Member

I am planning on using the existing console as I just re-anchored it down. I see what you're saying but the vision impairment via a wet sheet of glass seems better than having it impaired by water in the eyes.

4. Mr Efficiency

You may need nothing more than a sheet of plexiglass/Perspex/acrylic or whatever it is called where you live, you can use a heat gun to have it take a curve. A little bit of wrap-around to the shape, and affix with some stainless screws/bolts. Other than that, a box full of sunglasses you can change every time you cop the bucket of water in the face. The former solution probably preferable. You may need no edging to strengthen the plastic, unless there is likely to be someone on board silly enough to use it to brace off. In that case, a breakage could cause injury.

5. kmac1701

kmac1701 New Member

I might as well add a marine wood edging. Both to prevent breakage and injury as you mentioned and to give it that diy northeastern US look. Thanks for helping me out!

6. Mr Efficiency

If there is any chance of solid water hitting the screen, certainly edging reduces the possibility of damage.

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Make sure you buy a sheet of plexiglass that can cope with UV and rapid temperature changes, otherwise you get so many superficial cracks you have to look over the windscreen and still get water in your eyes.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

You have two choices for the glazing, acrylic and polycarbonate. You want to use acrylic, for clarity and UV resistance. Center consoles, like most open boats, tend to be wet in certain sea state condisions, it's the nature of the beast. Spray knockers can help to a small degree, but the exposed helm is still subject to spray washing aft, from the momentum of the boat. A substantial windscreen can help, but most center consoles have the most diminutive thing they can install, so consider a much larger one, possibly with fold out wings to offer more protection. You can bend the acrylic with heat or place pieces of the glazing in a frame (aluminum, stainless, wood, etc.). Stainless is strong, while aluminum and wood are easy to work and machine. In wet condisions, the best approuch is more about how you drive the boat than how it's equipped. Angle off so you're not bashing into chop head on. Slowing down also helps a good bit too.

9. kmac1701

kmac1701 New Member

I am going to try and put in spray rails however due to my impatient nature and the shape of the hull that will have to wait till next year. I am hoping to make a frame similar to this one (most likely without the top however)

Attached Files:

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Be very careful about weight, as it can toss off the balance of your boat a bit. You can bend the acrylic to that 3 sided shape easily enough, saving a lot of bother (and no blind spots because of a support structure). Acrylic sheets are available in 4'x8' sheets, though not cheap in the usual thicknesses employed for this sort of thing (1/4" typically) and the big box stores carry 1/4" acrylic for about $180 a sheet, though with some shopping around you can get it much cheaper. The last full sheet I bent was for a runabout windshield. I used a heat gun (carefully, as it'll scorch) and it took about an hour to get it to "lay down" to the mold I'd made for it to conform to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.