Z-bow

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DHMzip, Jul 21, 2010.

1. DHMzip

DHMzip Junior Member

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody know more information about z-bows

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Just an old concept with a different shape and name. Go look at any old baidarka, ram bow or hurricane bulb bow. The idea is to get the bow pressure disturbance out ahead of the actual cutwater while reducing WP area forward but adding pitch damping. Only useful on certian hull shapes.

Compare to an axe bow.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Alloy Z Cat. 6.5 metre and enlarged version on 2.8 metre beam.

All new 6.5 metre Alloy Z Cat. An extended waterline trailable power catamaran with real style. Beam 2.4 metres. Displacement about 1500kg deep.

PDF: Aluminium Power Cat Series

Boden boat plans have one designed by Troy Munnery

Add to Shortlist

$US 35.00

$US 550.00

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. DHMzip

DHMzip Junior Member

thanks for your replies.

I am aware of the look and shape of the zbow. I know it is helpful for pitch damping especially for semi-planing hull forms.

"The idea is to get the bow pressure disturbance out ahead of the actual cutwater while reducing WP area forward but adding pitch damping. Only useful on certian hull shapes."

which hull types?
    how do you add reserve buoyancy by reducing WP area fwd?
    I thought the idea was to increase area fwd of the boat, therefore helping with the boats balance.

how does this compare to an axe bow? is it the same principal with just the top part cut out as a "Z" shape?

if there is a naval architect out there who could give me some sort of mathematical example it would help me solidify this it would be super.

Thanks

5. DHMzip

DHMzip Junior Member

Also how do z-bows compare to other cat hull bow shapes, such as wave piercing or standard or just super extended

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. Greg Buckley

Greg Buckley New Member

We have been building Z bow catamarans for ten years, ranging from 8.5m to 15m,. I'll attach some pics of rough water use. we have had them out in 4-5m seas and they handle beautifully.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.