Yvan Bougnon's circumnavigation in a beach cat project

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks Blackburn I updated the video link to the particular video rather than the index link. The little cat has a decent turn of speed under spinnaker.

2. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

Finally the media boat actually had a presence there in the beginning.

The gennaker, he was saying somewhere that it was a good new sail on this leg, a bit smaller than what he had earlier perhaps?

The heavier weather as he was off Columbia, that's the segment starting at 2min 20sec where he says he's been in a storm (tempete) since the night before, and you see the main reefed down to the max.

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The French word "glissade" seems to come up regularly it translates as "slide" by the translator. Is there a better translation? I've looked in the Francais to English nautical dictionary and it's not listed. I've checked elsewhere online and it seems to refer to gliding down a slope or ski run.

4. W17 designer

W17 designer Senior Member

'glissade'

Would depend on the context and actual sentence, but I suggest we might use 'surfing' or even 'planing' (incorrectly) if we were to translate this liberally.

5. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I looked for another use of "glissades interminables" in connection with sailing (but there were far more instances of it being used to describe skiiing and tobogganing).

Here's something poetic in an article about the 2011 Jacques Vabre:

I especially like that bit about cavalry charges.

My guess is that it refers to fast downwind sailing.

6. W17 designer

"glissades interminables"

glissades interminables could certainly apply to a surfer who stays on a wave for a long time. I am quite surprised to read that this pretty heavily loaded boat with rounded sections can in fact do this ... but if so, he must be carried by the moving white surface water. This requires much attention and pretty deep rudder blades to maintain directional control. Sounds like he had 'quite a ride' ;)

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It appears from Yvan's latest post that the intention is to dismount the cat and transport it through the Panama Canal on the support boat.

8. W17 designer

Panama

If so, certainly be safer and less expensive ... and perhaps help tighten the bond with the support staff ;-)

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

10. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

^^^

It seems that the canal has rules which would prevent taking a boat like this through. I read that in addition to your skipper you're obliged to have 4 people/line handlers aboard recreational vessels, which are also not allowed to travel at night, and the law stipulates you have to provide room and board to these 4 line handlers.

Would have made an interesting video, seeing Bourgnon and his 4 line handlers (and no doubt a mandatory outboard engine) transit the canal?

Perhaps this list below gives an idea what the costs are... the 'buffer' fee is apparently a damage deposit which is usually returned (but requiring towing may cost you that).

11. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

Looks like Bougnon is pretty much following recommended timing re. his upcoming crossing to Galapagos and the Marquesas:

3,000 miles alone on the boat, however...

:rolleyes:

12. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

JV.jpg

Can Yvan Bourgnon do the sensible thing,
    and cajole, bribe, lure this other famous guy to join him across the Pacific?

I wonder if Bourgnon has had a visit from him
    because a couple of the photos on his Facebook recently
    were taken by a female associate of said famous guy;
    who has recently completed the Cape Town to Rio race.

It would get this project back on track?

Just speculation...

13. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

May I enquire as to who the other famous guy actually is?

14. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I've rumormongered too much already, Gypsy.

Saying the name right now would be very bad luck, it would certainly put a jinx on the deal, however remote the possibility of it is.

So shhhh for the moment. Bourgnon's having to sail alone across the Pacific is such a miserable alternative, we mustn't jinx any chance he has to avoid it.

;)

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

From Yvan Bourgnon's FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/yvan.bourgnon

the rough translate:

Departure of Yvan today at 1100 time local (16 H UT) of Panama for the Islands Perlas, located 30 miles from Panama.
    A few hours of navigation in order to check that everything is in order with the category (catamaran?), before leaving tomorrow morning for Galapagos!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.