Yrvind

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 16, 2011.

1. GTO

GTO Senior Member

Does anyone else consider the swim platform adding to "habitable" space?
    If so, I think the boat can no longer be considered a 10-footer.
    Not that going around in a 12 or 13-footer isn't just as amazing, but I thought the point was to do it "around-in-10" style.

No matter what size/configuration boat he sails, what Sven is doing is crazy but inspiring to many people, and I suspect that he will make it work, one way or another.

Good luck Sven.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Seeing the youtube poster avatar and the shoe shots at 9 sec, and at 59 sec, and at 1 min 14 sec it looks like Sven got a new sponsor, or at least got his running shoes for free, lets hope he got a good deal . . :)

Nice vid, thanks for posting here, well done Sven [​IMG]

3. Yes

Yes Junior Member

Happy New Year everyone! WOW...it seems Sven is getting younger and younger. He looks extremely fit and sparkling on the latest pictures. That reminds me...I have to buy some sardines. I once bought 100 cans of sardines...lasted me a long time. :)

4. Angélique

Yes the swim platform is adding habitable space, but outside the hull, so the swim platform alone still makes Yrvind-Ten has a 10-feet hull. But if those boxes on both sides of the swim platform are buoyancy boxes when the stern is suppressed it might be questionable if that's adding to the hull length, like a form of counter stern behind the original hull.

Pic from Sven's post on January 12, 2014.

_yrvind_ten_swim_platform_.jpg
    - click pic to enlarge
    Right [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

So this guy seems to be getting ready to starting building a boat for the same type of challenge? http://www.microyacht.com/ . Not stating (yet) that he aims to do the full lap non-stop, but would be a big achievement regardless.

What do you think of his design? Looks to be a bit more "conventional" than Yrvind's project if that is applicable for a 10-feet boat that is supposed to cross oceans safely.

6. Angélique

Manie must love the rig . . :)
    _10ft__microyacht_Puffin_1_.jpg - - _10ft__microyacht_Puffin_2_.jpg
    - - click pics to enlarge

Quote from: The Boat
    I think it would be hard to squeeze the hull weight + ballast + rig + sailor into the given 450 kg max displacement.

Some (very low) estimations:
    - bare hull 250 kg
    - ballast 100 kg
    - rig (mast + yard + boom + battens + sail + lines + etc.) 20 kg
    - anchor + rode 10 kg
    - sailor 70 kg​
    What is the carrying capacity for food and water supplies and equipment here . . . ? ? ?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Interesting stuff - ok I need to think very carefully before I post :confused:

ok got it - will draw in Freeship first and present good calculations - much better idea :cool:

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I had a good look at everything all over again and a good "think" about it.

The AIT concept wont go away, it might go quiet but will flare up again and again until somebody goes and does it. I would love to be involved with building and designing a 10 footer but for me personally if I had to do a lap it would most definitely be in a 5 meter boat like mine.

So as a suggestion - somebody should start a new AIT website that is simply a forum for builders with NO SET DATES - once there are a couple of "10's" on the water AND TESTED you can start to think about dates.
    First build and test. They should also allow bigger boats 3 to 5 meters to enter for fun and just to join in and come along for fun and support. Keep the name AIT.

Sven's boat is really a good design and what I find very important is the fact that a water tight bulkhead separates the "sleeping" section. It is of utmost importance on a small boat that the sleeping bunk is separate AND ALWAYS DRY so much so that I actually wish I had thought about that when I did my interior. I will start experimenting with my "double curtain" ideas soon. Elastic Lips that open and close around you as you squeeze thru.

I love Sven and I wish him well - but for me now they are over complicating things and the big mistake is that they are forgetting KISS. The huge swim platform is an abortion and the rudders hanging of the end of that lot is rubbish. When you build a bath tub all weight must be centralised as much as possible. Extensions of the back will force the bow up.

So my take on a AIT is definitely a hull like Sven's with a watertight bulkhead sealing of the sleeping section.
    A single transom hung rudder and tiller arrangement KISS strong and simple - and a wind vane self steering like Rory McDougal used.
    Then no complicated lifting keels - a good strong keel whatever design the owner likes - I prefer a fin keel with a bulb at the end of it. A full length keel could probably be even better on such a small boat.

I would suggest that the AIT does not try and do a lap non stop. Why? Whats the hurry? make the stops approx. 100 days apart where possible.
    It can and will be done non-stop but the amount of provisions becomes much more. Sven can do it - but very few people have his knowledge and experience.

And finally ;) a balanced lug sail :p
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/junk-rig-modern-hulls-39567-7.html#post674663

10. Angélique

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Good one

really good news is that an extensive program of testing has been planned
    to me that is number one priority

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

13. Angélique

----------------------------------------------​

At present there is no Around In Ten contest organisation, so there are no relevant authorities in this matter.

If there was a AIT contest organisation everyone would still be free to comply to their rules or set up his own rules and contest.

It would be interesting to rate only the disassembled length of the hull minus the bolted on buoyancy parts, but where is the limit then to call it a 10' hull . . . :confused:
    ----------------------------------------------

How to rate the length of these hulls, assembled or disassembled . . ? ? ?

Phil Bolger: Folding Schooner --- Folding Schooner: And Other Adventures in Boat Design

Wooden Widget: Stasha nesting dinghy

14. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

If the new 3D Model is an accurate prediction of how the final boat will look like, it seems unlikely that it will be considered a "ten feet boat" by any regular measuring standards? Clearly extends hull in a permanent fashion and adds boyancy too.

It could well be more suitable and more practical for the task, but still. "Yrvind13" ? I guess it would be considered longer than Acrohc Australis. So then only "smallest boat to non-stop" would be achievable, right? (Would be an epic achievement, but no "plan B record" available)

But regardless, if the big swim platform is needed, for outdoor space, sculling etc, perhaps most sensible to make maximum usage of it, for safety and pleasure.

15. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I can imagine it 3 to 4 inches deeper on departure. It should still work reasonably well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.