Yrvind

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Swedish forum with thread about Sven, to our Swedish friends here, please give a hint if news shows up there.

Cheers,
    Angel

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Sure, I'm "jamo" in that thread :). Discussion there is more of a generic nature, not at all as focused on the details of the boat design, challenges of the project etc. What possibly is available more there is interviews from Swedish media. Prior to Yrvind's last trip there were a couple of interviews with him on television etc. Yrvind has published a couple of books in Swedish about his life, not sure if they have been translated to English.

3. Yes

Yes Junior Member

4. Yes

Yes Junior Member

You can read (English) some stuff about Yrvind here:

http://www.yrvind.com/my_life/

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

New Book

Sven has published his new book

Does anybody know if a book like this could be bought in electronic format.
    If you could buy the book as a Jpeg it would mean that you can translate with Bing or what ever translator you like.

I dont see that this book is published in English.

6. Yes

Yes Junior Member

I think it is fantastic to get all those nice updates from Yrvind concerning his project. To get information about the project's progress in pictures and text and his thoughts about many aspects of it is immensely enjoyable. One can see that he has special skills and of course immense experience that makes him uniquely well suited for the task.

I love Sven Yrvind....he's one of my favorite people in this world.

7. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Yes, here for example: http://www.adlibris.com/se/product.aspx?isbn=9113044842

Delivered as a watermarked (some kind of protected format I suppose) pdf.

Just bought it , will be an interesting read I hope.

8. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

..Finished reading the new book today, enjoyed it. Good insights in how to do blue water sailing on a low budget. As well as the psychological aspect of single-handed sailing. Many useful practical tips in the epilogue also.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

MoeJoe have you tried to translate it, what translator did you use?

10. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Read it in Swedish on my iPad. Locked format, can't copy/select the text for translation.

11. Yes

Yes Junior Member

12. Yes

Yes Junior Member

13. Yes

Yes Junior Member

What would be nice is if Yrvin would place a small waterproof camera/s near the top of the mast/s pointing downwards. Then one could get an excellent view of the boat in all weathers.

Maybe camera like this:

http://www.buysku.com/wholesale/wir...mini-waterproof-camera-in-frog-eye-shape.html

There are probably other more suitable cameras on the market which are perfect for the task. I think it is important and very interesting to get this adventured filmed as much as possible.

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

From what I have read Sven is not really a "computer" type of person, so the problem with devices, is the power consumption. As I am now busy installing my "home office" into my boat I can really say it is complcated. Power consumption is high and I am already looking at 4 x 100 amp batteries and 4 x big solar panels and a fourstroke petrol generator. So yes it would be fantastic if we could see videos of his adventure, but the folks would have to come up with a simple easy system, with very low consumption, that they can retreive for him when he gets back. His support crew will have to do the editing and publishing.

15. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Junior Member

Posting updates live from the journey might also collide with his drive towards solitude and getting away from "civilisation". Was pretty cool to follow his progress via SPOT last trip though. I would also like to know more details of the interiour of his boats, what he brings apart from books, water, food. Probably not much, apart from the bare essentials of course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.