Yrvind

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Aug 16, 2011.

1. FMS

FMS Senior Member

If you want to stay out of trouble you can live other mens' dreams. This guy's journey is interesting to say the least. Thanks for sharing the site Manie.

2. Yes

Yes Junior Member

Does anyone know his position now?

3. Yes

Yes Junior Member

Nice!. I'd very much like to know where Sven is now. It would be nice if this thread would update his position every day at least. Twice every day if possible.

All the best.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Sven does dance to a different drummer. I met him about three years ago at one of the annual Cedar Key, Fl events. He gave an interestng talk which confirmed his dedication to doing things his own way which is very much unlike anyone else's way. One of the participants there was Matt Layden who designed the series of micro cruisers starting with his Paradox. Matt developed the chine runner type of keel Mannie referred to. Perhaps Sven got the design from Matt at that time.

I agree that it looks like it should not work very well but I have watched Matt and others sail and tack to windward with it, so it does work. Would be nice to have some real test data on it though. I can't believe the chine runner is very efficient at resisting leeway but Matt is known as the Wizard for some reason. One advantage is that it allows a boat with no appendages under the boat for minimum draft and maximum rugged construction.

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi guys, well its slow, a-z as the crow flies is ONLY 296 nm in 11 days = 27 nm / day
    wind prediction for the next 48 hours is good - 11 knots 028 true presently at 47.2 N -12.2 W @ 18h51
    with the wind from behind hopefully he could get further south where I have constantly seen better winds blowing south for the last two weeks

I have come to the awfull conclusion that this boat cant tack and he is left to the mercy of the sea most days. I am constantly monitoring the winds and his position on UGRIB and then I transfer and plot the data to Google Earth.

If UGRIB is wrong then I am wrong, but that is doutbful.

With small boats there comes a time when you have to admit its just not working. I believe that if this boat just had a daggerboard / leeboard it would have been 100% better. He left in too much of a hurry, a couple of hours testing is crazy even for a man with his experience. And by now he should know that steering by hand is not so cool, simple windvane is worth its weight in gold.

Attached Files:

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Ok guys just to add a bit of info

distance to Madeira is 1180 nm at the current speed of 27 knots that would be 44 days total.

Water should be 2,5 liters per day that is 110 liters minimum, I dont know how much he loaded

distance from Madiera to Florida is 3320 nm = 123 days = 308 liters of water

thats difficult in any man's book

I monitor his progress every morning and every evening, and if there is any reasonable progress I will post the Google earth map.

I am fascinated by the man and always hopes he does well.

Attached Files:

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Water

finally found it - July 2008
    If you guys can find more please post it

that's only 40 liters (approx 8 gals)

8. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Wind data

Here is some interesting wind data
    nice downloads

Good tail wind for Sven until Wednesday

Attached Files:

9. Yes

Yes Junior Member

Nice info Manie B. The last 6.25 days he has done 28.32 NM/DAY. I can now see his position. I was using Opera browser and nothing happened with that map on his site. I downloaded Safari and now I see all the info on the map. Should there be a problem with the water if he catches some rain on the way?

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I am not sure how much he can catch on such a small boat, it can be done but maybe the old salts can give us a better idea.

His progress today is better with the tailwind. I will post another map as soon as there is visible distance

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

The next couple of days should give a better understanding of the boats capabilities. The prediction is that he will be becalmed tomorrow and then blown east. His progress over the last 24 / 36 hours did follow the UGRIB wind forecasts by and large.

Attached Files:

12. Yes

Yes Junior Member

13. Yes

Yes Junior Member

20th not 15th

August 20, 2008 actually

14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

An alternative or addition to carrying & catching fresh water in such a small boat could be a hand-operated reverse osmosis watermaker - example.

I'll guess if depend on it it's better to have a spare and spare parts as well for long crossings.

Cheers,
    Angel

15. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Meant this one.

Cheers,
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.