Yrvind, a swedish designer?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wavewacker, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

GTO, thanks as well. I see your point. Considering that you sound like a common sence type fellow, I will GUESS, that your boat is in the foreground.

I can afford a large boat, I don't need a large boat. I had a Jag, it ticked me off that such a vehicle could have so many problems and that repairs were seen as a retirement plan by any mechanic. I bought a Miata and truly had more smiles per gallon. I think the same would apply to a boat.

I'll continue with my quest for a solution to this specialized need. I might just go buy another Hobbie to sail locally. I'll try to better define my book of requirements. Thanks!

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

No,

I did not say that! I don´t know any of the mentioned vessels.

My statement was a general one, that cats don´t do well with heavy loads.

And I doubt that a canoe is the boat for your requirements.

But then again, your crux is not to choose a vessel, your problem is to skimp on one or the other point on the wishlist!

A sturdy, rugged, monohull, trawler style of some 34ft upwards as posted on one of your threads, would at least be able to fit ALL your needs except sailing.

A sailing boat below 55ft (mono) or some 40ft (cat) will not accommodate your bike, but probably fit your other needs as well.

Forget about any design and start where boatbuilding begins, with a statement of requirements.
    That way you turn in a spiral, leading to the best compromise in the end.
    Otherwise (and you have proven that perfectly here) you turn in endless circles, ending nowhere.

Have a look at the threads by "goodwilltoall". Discussing design details of anything afloat from a teacup to multi million $$$ racers without understanding them. Having a unrealistic budget, a perfect bias, and no clue. He is a perfect example how to drive the forum nuts and ending up with scorn, mockery and sarcasm.

You should do better!

Regards
    Richard

3. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Hmmm, I don't think I mentioned a budget, regardless of the cost of anything it needs to make economic sence. I mentioned in another thread...and sorry that there are now three threads with a tad of this, I can toss the bike in a truck and rents boats at my destination. It is not at all about the cost of the boat, I just mentioned the opportunity cost of a truck or a motorhome.

The mission here is to enjoy a slow cruise in the aforementioned waterways and accomplish some motorcycle touring in areas that I would not ride that motorcycle to. If you don't own a dual sport bike, you probably don't understand my sence of adventure.

I just can't believe that a small cat could not facilitate and average guy and one fat woman making love on the back of a cat, with a combined weight of 420 pounds. I'm not taking my 1600 dressed cruiser. If I could locate assistance at a dock, I can lift the thing off and on.

First, I appreciate you input. I began asking what the best hull design would be best for the waters I intended to use, to sail, motor and carry 420 pounds on a craft less than 26 feet. I would not suggest a hydroplane to run rapids. I wouldn't suggest that someone use a full rocker kayak off shore or in the ICW. I would assume reasonable safety for the task. If there was an existing boat available I would liike that, if it needs to be built, I would consider that.
    Together with the constructive comments, I have also senced a great deal of bias and other remarks long before any scorn, mockery or sarcasm, and probably not intended to the degree taken. I believe my suggestion in another thread which you started to include a RIB was as valid as some of the other toys mentioned by senior memebers, but I noticed you didn't insult them. You may not even know what PACTOR is nor a Cushcraft R7000 unless you are into amature radio and HF rigs, which was also inline with the toys to take aboard your passagemaker. I may not be a marine expert but I do know you can be pooped by your own wake.

I'll see if I can't read more here and possibly not cause such mental anguish for you, but thank you.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

The problem with such comparison is that the human is flexible and able to move himself. The bike is not.
    The weight is another issue. When this couple sits as far in the back of the boat, as a bike would, the weight is too high as well.

Don´t know where you got my comments wrong, but it was not my intention to be sarcastic.

And no, I don´t know the radio equipment you mentioned, and being no ham expert, will not install it. There are no toys on the Passagemaker as I clearly stated! Commercial grade and licensed electronics only.

Regards
    Richard

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

OK, I would think that if they rolled on deck to the low side, that could make things worse. The CG is less than two feet high.

HF rigs were mentioned as well as HF antennas, not specified as commercial and I didn't see any restriction to only commercial equipment and no toys. Seems a residential ref to keep the beer cold doesn't fit that requirement either, but it's your thread, you can disqualify anything you like on any basis. Rereading your threads I see I missed something too, it began by saying "peers". So I guess only marine designers or naval archiets should have responded, I was clearly out of place.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

No idea why you turn snappish.

Of course it was mentioned that the electronics should be commercial grade. But if a customer wants to install whatever he thinks is desired, well, his game.
    The very nature of the thread though, does not ask for any gimmicks, but our opinions what we expect in a true oceangoing vessel of that size.
    Maybe you misunderstood that, as you did misunderstand the peers on purpose! It was clearly stated that ALL opinions are welcome, no matter NA or amateur!

Well, some want to see what they want to see..............

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.