Designer Robert Finch

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gharr8, Oct 15, 2006.

1. gharr8

gharr8 Junior Member

Does anyone have any information on designer Robert Finch. I believe he designed (or helped design) the Catalina 27.

I may be purchasing a 1973 custom made, cold molded sail boat 46' that he designed and was hoping to get more information about the boat.

Thanks for any help

gh

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Robert Finch always maintained a low profile, and about 1980-82 he dropped completely out of sight. Probably found something more lucrative than boat design to occupy himself.

He shared design credit for the Catalina 27, he also designed the Islander 30, which was a very successful product. Also the Yankee 28 and 24, and the North American 23 trailer sailor and the Midship 25. All these boats were in production in Southern California in the mid 70's. His most spectacular design, IMO, was the Robinson 51', a very high-end semi-production cold-molded canoe sterned cutter. I believe only one was built and remained for sale for many years. Bob Perry reviewed the design in his first Sailing Design Collection, 1977.

I recall an article by Finch in Yachting, approximately 1980, on a trailer sailor designed for his own use in Alaska? But I can't lay my hands on the right issue at this moment.

All the best, Tad

1 person likes this.
  3. gharr8

gharr8 Junior Member

Finch

Thanks Tad,

I may have mentioned I am looking to purchase a 1973 46' cutter that was built in Los Angeles. It is cold molded and is extremely strong. I believe there was error on the cautious side and was overbuilt. Great design, great boat with many excellent features. I hope I do purchase it.

I have heard that there were 3 boats built on this design. The alleged manufacturer is supposed to be the same company that built the Spruce Goose. Thats an interesting idea, huh. I think I will try and find them , too.

Thanks

G

4. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

I have a book that references the Yankee 28 as designed to the 1972 IOR rule by 'Robert Finch of Sparkman and Stevens'.

However the S&S alumni listing on their website has no mention of him. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

5. Smoothride

Smoothride Dog Owner

Spruce Goose

Howdy Gents;

Someone mentioned the spruce goose, so I wanted to pipe in and tell you where it's currently located : McMinnville, Oregon at the Evergreen Aviation Museum. http://www.sprucegoose.org/

The staff will tell you all about the spruce goose, and Howard Hughes. Fascinating stuff. Plenty of other aircraft to gawk at while you're there. Some of the old guys showing you around flew the same airplanes you're looking at (Corsairs, Mustangs etc...incredible stories--I'm biased, those are some of my favorite airplanes on this earth :D ). Good times.

SR

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.