Composite Construction Software

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Hypercat, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Hypercat

Hypercat Junior Member

Is there software where one can calculate strengths of composite materials and cored construction? I know result vary on methode of construction but I need approximate values anyways. Thanks.

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Actually, there are various packages of software that might work, but you really have to know a bit about composite engineering and composite fracture mechanics to use them. The engineering of composites gets into non-linear cross-linking in the three orthongonal directions which gets into some pretty complicated matrix alegbra. Then, of course, you have to make assumptions on the direction of the load, which is not always in line with the orientation of the fibers. Finally, you have to depend on reliable data for the fabric properties going in, and many times this is incomplete. One of the most critical inputs to most programs, shear modulus, is one of the least tested for in composite engineering--it simply is not available nor published most of the time.

Having said all that, I will defer to others who may have some respectable programs. I have a program that I wrote for my own use, it is a DOS based program. It works OK, but has not really been tested enough for use by the general public. Others have produced better programs I am sure. Just remember that they will be more complicated to use than you may expect.

Eric

3. dionysis

dionysis Senior Member

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Jim Antrim sells a program called PBJ. you can find him at 510-223-9680

Yokebutt.