youngest circumnav ever!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guest62110524, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

After that she sailed also single-handed back. Wind at night SSW 7 Bft. She made it from Lowestoft in the UK to Maurik in Holland in less then 40 hours in a 7 m boat. Note: Maurik is in the middle of Holland! (look it up, Lowestoft and Maurik)

After that she wrote the cover story about it by herself for the Dutch magazine ‘Zeilen’ in July 2009. Thirteen years old at the time.

[​IMG]

She is a special girl and should not be judged like an average 14 year old.

To judge whether she is able to circumnavigate one must know what skills are required to do so and what her capabilities are. Is there anyone in this thread who knows about both these aspects :?:

Regards,
    Angel

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

The Dutch authorities should be ashamed of themselves. I didn't really think through even saying something about "running away and pouting". I am behind this kid 100%. They took her captive! They took her from her parents! What is this world coming to?

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Is there anyone in this thread who knows about both these aspects?" - I take it as a matter of faith. I wish I could help her but those Government savages are going to control her life until she finally wins in court years down the road.

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

What is so special about her starting her voyage at the age of fourteen? Doing it now instead of after she turns 18, just to break an age record, is a search for celebrity, not for accomplishment.

Is that really such an important reason for circumnavigating the world? She has the rest of her life to do it.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

But she has that right, Troy. And after she is older, there will be no notoriety. She will probably not have the backers with more age, she will not get to have the experience, she will not get the indorsements - in short, this will change her entire life.

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I wonder what is motivating her, or should I say who.

And why is she wearing cotton in that photo. Not a good sign.

Unfortunately, we will never know the whole story and so, who are we to

judge? Is there a "right" answer to this controversial question?

I doubt it . Good debate material though, isn't it!!

Personally, I think she should go if the circumstances are right.

Who may be the best to judge that... likely her parents.

-Tom

7. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

What Angelique posted, I never knew any of that. Dont watch TV at al so all I see is net
    I bought my kids a sailing Dinghy when they were very young, they did not use it once, I never said much , but I was disappointed as hell, I started at 13, only cos before that I lived far from sea
    I wish my kids had what she has After reading post of A, I think yes she is special . That piece of sea with its tides, , ships, ferries, would test any of us here, full stop.

8. APA-168

APA-168 student amateur designer

Probably for the photo op. Do you think the editor cares if she's properly outfitted?

Anyways, I do agree that the government is being absolutely idiotic. This should be up to her and her parents, not the government. In fact, this sets a frightening precedent. If they can take away someone's child in response to what amounts to a personal and parental decision, I shudder to think what else they might do.

9. Angélique

Special about her is that she can do this (post#16)* which the average thirteen year old (and many adults!) can't. I can't judge if she capable to circumnavigate because I'm not a expert on both mentioned aspects.

But how experienced is the average adult how starts circumnavigating? And what are the requirements that are be made to them?

See this article about that on the blog of the chief editor of the magazine ‘Zeilen’. (Google translation)

About emergency navigation eg in case of broken electronics:
    ‘‘One of the attendees - please note, they were all sailors who are planning a trip of at least one years to make - even had trouble with Henk's assertion that a circle has 360 degrees. Then it will be very difficult to explain the operation of a kamal for example.’’

I can tell you, Laura knows these things and much more!

Regards,
    Angel

* and much more, but it's all in Dutch.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Angelique, I will bow to your assessment of the young lady's capabilities; you obviously know more about her than I do.

But I repeat: what is so urgent about her desire to circumnavigate right this minute? The notoriety and celebrity of temporarily being the youngest to have done so? What then does she do for an encore, after the celebrity has faded?

If she is as balanced and level-headed as you think, she will do just fine in her life without the celebrity--and find another way to make money, if appearing in magazines isn't enough.

It seems to me that Robin Graham (who sailed Dove around the world) had a very difficult time fitting back into society and trying to build a life, after he finished the voyage. I haven't kept up with him for years, so maybe he eventually adjusted....

But there is at least a possibility that letting this young lady circumnavigate the world solo while her classmates are learning to socialize with people, deal with the opposite sex, integrate into society, etc., may not be in her best interests in the long run.

I'm not saying I would automatically agree with the Dutch officials who are trying to block her; I don't claim to be that familiar with the case. But there are some legitimate questions being raised.

11. Angélique

[​IMG]
    Laura on a class picture from elementary school, always different from the other kids.

[​IMG]
    Dutch newspaper article about Laura, at the age of ten, talking to the mayor because she and her father were no longer allowed to live on a boat in the marina.

Dutch video: Roy Heiner about Laura. He is an expert on both mentioned aspects - requirements and capabilities - and says she's able to circumnavigate solo!

Regards,
    Angel

12. Angélique

The longest crossing will be ± 3 weeks, that's long certainly for a child. But most crossings are much shorter. She wil take two years for the trip. She's not after a speed record! So most of the time will be spent by waiting in marinas for good weather and the right conditions for the next crossing (boring). In those marinas are many other circumnavigators who are in the same circumstances. They all sail at the same time of the year because of the wether etc. The other circumnavigators will pamper her when she's not sailing, that's for sure! Remember that's most of the time. She will never have to cook while she's in a marina! Many of the other circumnavigators will have children of her age on board. So social contacts are no problem. She will do her school by the ‘‘wereldschool’’. She has disipline enough to do that independently via the internet that she has on board. Her mental growth during the trip will be much more then when she stay's at home. Especially for her because she's not a stay at home girl.

Regards,
    Angel

P.S.
    Many visits of the guidance team! See her route plan and her FAQ (and a translator?).

13. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

Troy
    the celebration, will last her whole life
    You look at Hillary, Rheinhart Meister(first man climb all 8000m peaks)(sp)
    She may even go the way of that most greatest of sailors, man or woman, Isabelle Austissier These unique people climb peaks forever , and the stay there

I say GO GAL GO

14. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

The article "Lauras Protest" was a enlightening one. Bringing 300 people to sign a protest note, then fighting the mayor with that;
    Chapeaux!

She had the ability to stand and conquer uncomfortable situations (loosing home is´nt nice), already at ten.

Half of the worlds population never comes to that level.

Go Laura! Go sailing! Go now!
    You have proven to be able to fight the most dangerous environment on earth, human society. The ocean is´nt THAT dangerous..............but you know.
    GO

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.