What Type Steel

Discussion in 'Materials' started by GlenM, Dec 8, 2010.

1. GlenM

GlenM New Member

I bought a 1981 Goderich 37 that was mfg. by Huromic Boat Works in Goderich Ontario. It is a Brewer design with a round chine. The company has since shut down.

The metal on this boat is around 3/16 and is very hard to work with. Small dents received from Hurricane Ike were straightened with many blows of a 2 lb sledge hammer. The previous owner has no idea what type steel it is. The boat yard seems to think its Cor-Ten. They could not believe it was so hard to bend. I emailed Ted Brewer and he said he gave the company the option of corten or A-36.

I am leaning to the corten

I need to cut out some of the steel in the sides of the cockpit storage holes, and weld in some patch plates. Would it hurt to weld corten to mild steel.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    Glen

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hi Glen,

for me it is not clear what you are going to do.
    Are you thinking about welding the patches in mild steel or are you going to apply cor ten?

If it bends as hard as you told us, it is most likely cor ten, you should replace it with cor ten then.

Regards
    Richard

3. GlenM

GlenM New Member

I have cut out the rusted area 6"x 18" and need to weld a piece of plate back in.
    I need to know if I need to use cor-ten or A-36.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Like Richard said. He would know.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.