Young 780 water ballast trailer sailer ??

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by 51jay, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 51jay

51jay Junior Member

Hi all, my first post here, though I've been snooping for a while. I think this boat is for me. Haven't had much luck with my internet searching for info.
    I think it has been mentioned on this forum...but not any real info.
    I know Jim Young has retired and is famous for the Young 780 Rocket racing boat. I think this boat was built using stitch and glue and from the photos looks to be in excellent condition,asking price is $A20K includes trailer.
    Can anyone point me at more info?
    Really great site! amazing amount of knowledge and info here. Cheers Jay :)

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

I'm sure the 780 hull is ply with a double chine and not really stitch and tape in the sense of tortured/tensioned ply s&t, but yes, it is still this method. He also designed a single chine 6 metre water ballasted trailer sailer using the same method. The jpeg is of his round bilge 840 and similar to Jim's own boat Young and Frisky except this one was built in Japan. I have a 780 plan photograph somewhere, will post later. I remember Jim was pleased with the 780 Rocket because it could be amateur built and yet was still a high performance boat.

Attached Files:

3. 51jay

51jay Junior Member

[​IMG]

This is the young 780. Looks like a single chine, it is ply epoxy build, the sales guy said it was stitch and glue but he also said he knew more about carpets than boats :D
    Seems like a good boat to cruise Moreton Bay with anual trips to other East Coast cruising areas. Towing it is no problem I have a diesel powered RangeRover.
    I've been a multihull fan for about 30 years, my choice boat being a John Gross Fastback 32 which we can't get for another couple of years, but the Young just hit my buttons and for $A20K why not grab it ?.
    Be good if you could post the plan pics and thanks for the reply.

4. Gary Baigent

51jay, that is not a 780 Rocket (which is a double chine lightweight with a small cabin) but one of Jim's single chine cruising versions, totally different beast.

5. 51jay

51jay Junior Member

Apologies, I should have said this is a Young 780 waterballasted trailer sailer.
    While the Rocket would be a fun boat it is not for me.

6. Gary Baigent

Anyway, here's the jpeg of the 780 Rocket - although on the plan it is called 780 high performance yacht - plus one of the 6 metre stitch and tape trailer sailer.

Attached Files:

7. 51jay

51jay Junior Member

Thanks for that Gary

8. 51jay

51jay Junior Member

Went and had a look at the boat ( 12 hours of roadworks 40kph signs and traffic lights down the Pacific Highway)
    It is stitch and glue with all the seams taped and epoxied and looks to be very well built. However he did not glass or dynal cloth the hull. I think he was trying for a very light boat.

9. gybeset

gybeset Junior Member

Nope the (faster) Rockets are round bilge like the 840 above, i sail one in Sydney

the chine 780 surfing there is rocket-ish for sure, a forerunner home chine home-build

the lines planis the waterballasted 6.0 mtr i think

There is also a TY, roomier round bilge performance design called the Young 770, which has more freeboard than the Rocket, and more interior comforts

Rocket 780 below
    [​IMG]

10. Gary Baigent

Gybeset, the chined wave surfing boat, Sew Easy, is a 6 metre stitch and tape design. I did a boat test on it years ago and that shot is from the article - and the lines plan is from the 780; again I did stuff on that design too.
    The round bilge design in the large photograph looks very neat and that must be a smaller version development of the round bilge 840. I'll ask Jim next time I see him. Cheers.

11. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Say more stuff about the chined 780 lines plan! 1500 lbs for a wood 780 seems really light for a boat that size... what is the sail area? Ballast weight? rig plan?

12. Gary Baigent

Comment from Jim Young:
    That is Signs of Life, one of the first round bilge 780’s, cruising, lift keel 780 and there’s a racing 780 Rocket, my New Zealand boat.
    The Young 840 I designed for my son Frank, and one of his requirements was that it fit into a shipping container - so it limited the beam to 10 feet. It would have been better if I could have gone out another foot, or even to 12 feet and that would have made it a lot faster boat. But never mind, that 840 I owned, Young n Frisky, was a really good little boat and the fastest for her size during the time I raced her. Then I finally got sick of Wednesday night racing, and so I sold her. Now the centreboard weighed with the ballast about 1000lbs and we had to raise this on a winch by hand – which was very hard work. So I thought I couldn’t sell the boat with that arrangement and went and bought a little electric winch and a battery. All you had to do after that was fitted was press a button and this heavy keel would go easily and painlessly up and down. I should have done that from the word go. That’s how far you will go to save weight.

13. Gary Baigent

Rapscallion
    25 feet x 8 feet x 7 feet draft board down / 9" lifted, displacement 1500lbs, sail area: 320 sq.ft. Plans US900.00 - email Jim at: annejim.y@xtra.co.nz

14. rapscallion

I tried emailing Jim to get more info on those plans, and I didn't get a response. Very interesting design... That boat should very fast, even by today's standards. I would like to know more about the rig, like how much a carbon rig for the boat would cost before I would start to build...

15. rapscallion

The young 840 also sounds interesting.... especially the part about making it faster by making it wider. I wouldn't have to fit the boat in a container. I can't wait to see a website that contains his designs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.