You guys that use Epoxy glue?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by thudpucker, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark775

mark775 Guest

I wud, really, if I were there. Free beer!

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Yes the deadwood would be people like yourself ,there is a thread on that on SOS have someone read it to you, there should be a lot of pictures,"Thad Allens Apache".

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

I didn't get fired by Apache!

1 person likes this.
  4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Roly, you're too funny about this, but right in your way.

PAR, that's why I use the system three products. In my experience the 2:1 ratio gives you a little room for error. I can mix 10 ml of resin and 5 ml of hardener in a graduated medicine cup fairly accurately. I couldn't do that if I had to mix up 10 ml of resin and 2 ml of hardener with a 5:1 ratio brand.

I'm not in love with the S3 brand but I just find that for me (an amateur) it's easier to work with.

MIA

5. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Steel roolz

On this side of the Tasman we invest in(3.87$ at Big W) a 300mm steel rule, heaps more goodera than your stick eh' bro, like you can batch different amounts and different ratios in the depth range of the parrallel sided container, and you can do like paint too, you can stir the stuff up with it then wipes it clean with a rag & use time & time again, also if you over pour one component a quick mental adjusts the batch, Be cool, get a steel rule!
    Sorry forgot to mention--- measure other stuff with it! Apply filler with it! Use as a scraper(not the measuring end)! Leave it half hanging out of your pocket & scratch #%^* out of shiny beautiful fitout/paintwork/whatever(how did that happen?)

Regards from Jeff

Hey can I play in this sandpit too?

6. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

You Are sure??? I fired a lot of people! and a spiteful little wuss like you would have been the first to go.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I was waiting for that info, PAR. Weight doesn't necessarily follow volume as resin and hardener would have different specific gravities. The answer is, of course, to calibrate the scale until "your favorite formula" is achieved by weight (e.g., one might balance at 3.09:1 rather than 3:1). The volume ratio can be marked on the scale's beam instead of the weight ratio.
    It does get complicated, though. It would be nice if the weight and volume were consistant to begin with.

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Another idea I've had is to measure volume alone (by the way, I use containers to measure as cheap pumps often get air inside and I mistrust them). My volume-measuring method would be a see-thru polyethelene measuring rig that was shaped like a triangle with the point down (open at the top) and divided laterally into two parallel cavities with a specific ratio for each rig. The five to one rig would, for example, have a five-times wider cavity on one side than the other. You could fill to any level on the resin side and fill the hardener side until the two sides were equal in depth. A special pair of spatulas could be used to scrape the interior.

9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Hula Hoop, there is simply no point in this going further. I am sorry. Now, lighten up and use your skills to help people.

10. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

You have gave me a lot of laughs, why stop now?

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

Because, I like to believe, that it is not what this forum is for.

12. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Please.....lets keep the posts on the subject.

I used some PL as glue to make some Bi-fold window frames as an experiment. Didnt work. Here's a photo. The PL was Urethane. That might be the problem eh?
    The Frames are old dried Wood trim. I ripped them to 5/8" square (or so) and mitered the corners so they'd be flat and fit together.
    I put the PL in as glue, stapled and clamped the pieces. After two days most of the joints were just puttied together, not glued.
    The lights are made of Feed Sacks. This is my winter Chicken house Pneumonia Hole covering job to get more eggs this winter.:D
    PL Polyurethane.jpg

Pl Ure...Old dry wood trim ripped and mitered to fit..jpg

bifold windo of old dry Wood trim.jpg

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

14. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Really LOL LOL LOL what is it for then Woman?? LMAO here is a example:

You wanna be an ******* expect to be treated like one. Even ir you are right.

I'm sure you do know a lot about epoxy, and sharing your knowledge is appreciated. But you're very likely losing potential customers real fast by being rude and arrogant.

arrogance and insensitivity to the original poster's question suggest you need a trim.

Don't be a dick. This thread is for an amateur and most hobby epoxies are not set up for mixing by weight. Apex said "we builders use weights..." but That is in a controlled, professional manner. - Mark

This is like a comedy show.

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

Yeah, okay.